Author Topic: Raspberry Canes  (Read 1473 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Raspberry Canes
« on: August 16, 2005, 23:24:34 »
Last Spring I planted some Malling Jewel Raspberry canes strictly according to instructions as I have no experience with raspberries other than eating the fruit. They have continued to grow over the summer and have now reached a height of 6 feet in some cases. Each cane is tied in to horizontal wires but they have now reached above the last wire. If I have understood it correctly these raspberry canes will be the ones to bear fruit next year, so just how tall will they grow? Should the growing tip be nipped out? Is there anything I should be doing to prepare the canes for their winter sleep?

TIA for advice from any of you experts out there!

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 23:42:44 »
This does seem high for Malling Jewel. You can nip out the top growing tip if you want. Yes, these canes are the ones that will bear fruit next year. This is an early variety, and when fruited, you cut them down. Meantime next year, new growth will come through, these will fruit the year after.
Make sure they are tied in well to the wires, especially if your site is windy and the canes are exposed. I'd earth up around them to make sure the roots are covered, also fork the earth about 3 ft away from the canes to improve drainage.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 07:56:08 »
If you don't want to nip the tip off & you have room you can tie long canes back down onto the wires (ie like "n").

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:30:30 »
Thanks Jennym and Beejay - just the sort of information I needed. :)  I think they are well shielded from the wind as they are close to a wall.
I really like the idea of bending the canes down in an 'n' - where it's possible that is what I'll do and hope for a bumper crop of fruit next year.  :D
Maybe they have grown so tall because of the amount of manure and compost that was put in the trench when they were planted. ;D Will they need any more fertilizer in the Spring? Or better leave it till after fruiting?

Tricia

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 14:26:03 »
I think you give them a feed of potash in the early spring. Enjoy your fruits.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal