Author Topic: What happened to my Globe thistle?  (Read 1560 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
What happened to my Globe thistle?
« on: August 13, 2005, 18:03:16 »
I have three large plants of globe thistle (Echinops ritro) in my garden, all grwoing in sunny spots in well drained soil, however one of them has done this just as it started to flower:

You have to admit this does not lokk nice (I have now cut it back to remove the 'afflicted' growth.

What could have happened? This one is in a less open spot to the others (backed by a hedge as you can see in the photo) and is surounded by other plants. I can only guess that it is something soil borne. I cannot think of any diseases or infections that aflict Echinops.

Please help. is it curtains for the plant or will it recover with new growth?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: What happened to my Globe thistle?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 18:12:55 »
not an expert on thistles but my friend's artichoke plants have done something similar - one has died back almost completely, whereas the other two look decidedly 'autumnal'.

is it simply the end of their growth period? the artichoke looked healthy enough til the end...???
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 18:19:11 »
I dont think it can be the end of the growth period svea. I have 2 others still healthy and in full flower (same age too). These are perennial plants which in the past have gone on looking good well into autumn.

First signs of trouble with this one was about a month ago when the newly developed flowers started drooping, then the whole plant rapidly deteriorated to the state in the picture (taken this week). I cant think it was drought, as echinops are drought tollerant (or supposed to be).

Hope this helps

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 22:05:58 »
GC, you've just described exactly what happened to my huge clump of poppies just as they were coming into flower. Neighbouring plants - cactus dahlia, nicotiana etc - totally unaffected. Never seen anything like it before.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal