Author Topic: Colds are not the only virus...........  (Read 6798 times)

Palefire

• Half Acre
  • "Are we green?"    5th Element
Colds are not the only virus...........
« on: November 25, 2003, 10:34:55 »
Just want to warn everyone - watch out for the Trojan Horse virus "belt.exe" - nasty little b****rd that gets right into your system and causes allsorts of unwanted stuff when you log on. I believe it's a type of spyware. Not been on for a while because I've been trying to get rid.

Love, Palefire

xxx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:11 by -1 »
"You are going down a path that I cannot follow"

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Colds are not the only virus...........
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 15:01:17 »
Hi palefire  :)thanks for the advance warning .now how does this show itself would you explain to me please ,because there is something amiss here with me puter :) is it possible that it stops you getting any pages up because for the last few days i have had more aggro than enough >:(i have emailed bt but all i ever get is page unavailable its driving me slowly mad i do not know a lot about puters i have only had mine a short time still a newbie :D what i do know is i am paying for a service i cannot` get .any help or advice would be much appriccated?.doyou know if bt broadband is any good customer service wise
 thanks a bunch :D cheers Rosebud xx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 17:19:54 »
Rosebud if you haven't got one you really need to get a virus checker installed!! :o My last computer finally expired after catching a nasty virus, it was never the same after that.  :( (and I lost loads of stuff) I now have a checker that keeps me up to date and cleans up any nasties that may slip through. Worth every penny to stop me beloved getting sick! :)  Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 17:21:24 »
PS! forgot to add I am on broadband and love it! The speed the freedom, the addiction to being online..........marvelous!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 20:44:56 »
Yup, I second that Doris.  Finally got Norton anti-virus up and running after a string of virus attacks!

p.s.  Live in the darn sticks and can't get broadband.  You have no idea how much this p*sses my hubby off!  :-/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 21:59:58 »
I got McAffee, just download it off the net, their spamcheckers good too!
Where would i be without broadband..probably downstairs talking to my other half.maybe just as well you don't have it EJ, many a marriage may break down over the years!!  hehehehe  DP

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 23:42:25 »
Hi Ladies thank you for advice.I do have a firewall is that the same thing? welli shall have to get on and have broadband sorted out after hearing it is good :D
i shall do that tomorrow i love sitting up in my den on my own  ::)so i shall be here more often ;D
       cheers girls Rosebud

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 02:05:28 »
 Â (color=deadcleverlike)Yo Rosebud

have a look at these

http://www.symantec.co.uk

and

http://www.spellsoftware.com

that could be a .co.uk so

http://www.spellsoftware.co.uk

just in case like

also go to the beebs news page

click on "Technology" then type
symantec into the search box and there is some real good stuff on there about symantec... who are the peeeps that make Norton Anti
Virus.

Also any peeps thinking of getting a new puter?  This Thursday at Aldi.. there iz one realy good deal going down, £849.00 and it is awesum, be early though cuz these beauties go real fast, if I had the money.. Id be camppd outside right now..

hope this helps

oZzY %)[/coolmahn]

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 13:41:38 »
Hi OZ thanks a bunch for the info will track that down today  :D :D speak later in a rush going crimbo shopping
bye now Rosebud :) ;) :D ;D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 21:52:34 »
Hi Palefire - been there, done that, and the *fatherless children* (edit) ooops, have I got a word past the obscenity checker?(/edit)  don't even give you a T-shirt!!!  I'm sorry to hear of the problem - it's infuriating what these people assume they have the right to do.

Anyway - a security suggestion for all of us.  No ONE product keeps EVERYTHING out!!!  And I'd appreciate any additions/corrections to what follows.

You need to protect your computer from four unauthorised sources - and they attack using different mechanisms.  The problem is that most commercial products cover two or even three of these sources of aggravation - but the other gaps need to be filled as well.

I am mean to the nth degree - so all the suggestions I've made of actual programmes have freeware versions, which I use.  Others among us will have better and more powerful suggestions to make - all I can say is that these are free, and have kept me free of problems for a couple of years.  Oh, and I'd like to know of any better freebies, please!

• Keep viruses out, with a good anti-virus programme - AND UPDATE IT REGULARLY;  I update mine and scan all files every week, at most every two weeks, using AVG (downloadable from http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php), and no problems so far.

• Track down and remove spyware - mainly bits of programming and cookies which you've downloaded unknown to you; they're busy passing information to advertisers and spammers.  I use Spybot (downloadable from http://www.safer-networking.org/) about once a week, and any time my computer appears to slow down unusually (updates less regular - I check every couple of months);  Adaware (downloadable from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) is another freeware offering, but not so good.

• Keep other intruders, such as hackers out; use a firewall, such as ZoneAlarm (downloadable from http://www.zonelabs.com/)

• The fourth area of aggravation is spam-mail - I had over 90 spams today, to 4 e-mails I actually wanted;  to filter and remove spam from my mail-box without having to download it, I use Mailwasher (downloadable from http://www.mailwasher.net/).

If you haven't got one or more of the four "gates" covered . . .   Nuff said!!!

All best - Gavin

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 01:20:42 »
Gavin, Do you know of any freebies that keep those darn pop ups away????  Drive me nuts! >:(
Will give a couple of the sites a go tho, thanks for the info.we love freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!  ( have to say that if I belived everything that the spam messages tell me, I would be in a curiosity museum for having very large male parts,and be high on some drug or another, only available via the web!!  Hmmmm maybe there is a whole new career to be had here :o)
DP

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 01:57:51 »
I too learned the hard way....I'm quite new to computers but in August last.....my puter was put out of action for 2.....yes 2 weeks!!....cos of the blaster worm.....nearly went beserk when I was cut off from the friends I'd made in another group.....(made me realise how addicted I'd become)...I've now got Norton Anti-virus and a Firewall and have eventually got into the habit of checking for updates as someone else said....every week.....it's essential.....I don't however have broadband......and it's so slow without.....H.P.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 14:36:30 »
Rosebud, if your ISP is Virgin then you have an immediate explanation of your troubles.  I`ve been having the same trouble for several weeks - ever since they were hit by MsBlast virus.  However, they have now produced an upgrade for a new telephone link, which you can find by using the Service Announcements on Virgin Home Page, and after the upgrade everything works fine (touch wood).

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 14:51:57 »
Still on techno probs - anyone else dowloaded OE6 - to then find that Auntie's nephews and nieces are operating the system and censoring your incoming mail? Spam in reverse.. :(

It's been informing me, in a particularly high-handed manner, I felt, that it had "removed the following unsafe attachments"...

Admittedly, some of the jokes I get sent are a bit puerile & I didn't bother too much at first,  but when it refused me access to a Word Doc. I was waiting for to do some work on, enough was enough..

Been battling through to no avail, but have just made contact with a computer whizz kid, who's guided me through it , so if anyone else comes across this prob. & needs help, I've saved the instructions. - Lishka

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 15:04:18 »
Whatever`s OE6 Lishka?

rdak

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2003, 15:15:22 »
It's Outlook Express 6. And that 'unsafe' attachment message is very annoying.

see link for how to disable it...just be careful what you open!!

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/outlookav.shtml

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2003, 18:42:41 »
I am just sooooo relieved to read that others have been having the same problems as I've had for weeks now with OE  ???...had no idea what was wrong....assumed I'd done something and mucked my settings up somehow....thanks for the link and will try to sort if out as soon as I can......H.P.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2003, 19:57:29 »
rdak, wished I'd known before that we have a techno whizz-kid on the Forum - took me ages before I could contact my contact  ??? to get the info.

I think that that particular problem is now sorted, but as I mucked around yesterday reducing 'security' and 'privacy' settings to lowest to see if that would get rid of the darned thing & let attachments through, I'm probably, as I type, having Unprotected Discourse ;D - at my age, too ::) ... now what sort of example is that to set the grandchildren???

Lishka

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2003, 22:46:11 »
Hi - for Doris-Pinks and others for whom pop-ups are a pain.  Ummmmm - what pop-ups?   ;D ;D ;D

Just a bit cheeky on my part - but I use the opera browser, which is so easy to set up to eliminate popups when you don't want them, easy to accept pop-ups when you do want them.  It is also MUCH faster than Internet Explorer.

Nothing would persuade me to go back to IE, or Outlook Express!!!!

All best - Gavin

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!  forgot to mention there's a freeware download available from http://www.opera.com/ !!!!  Have fun - it works a little differently from IE, but is so much easier once you get used to it.

:) :) :) :) :)

Palefire

• Half Acre
  • "Are we green?"    5th Element
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2003, 10:22:25 »
Hello everyone, back again and it's nice to see some advice being handed around.
There are many myths and legends going round about this one already. AVG calls it "stubby a"; not sure about others. The resident shield of AVG keeps finding it in a certain location, but when I do a specific scan of that location with AVG scanner, it says there is nothing there. Someone sent me a Trojan-specific stinger to run and it couldn't find it, either. SOoooooo, either the resident shield is having a wobbly, or the virus is buried so deep that nothing will get it out. The one good thing it has led to , though is me getting rid of a poo-load of rubbish off my hard drive. Have a look in your temporary internet file directory one day and be amazed at the amount of rubbish in there. I recommend looking at each one and where it came from. If it's a site you have never visited, or haven't visited in a long time, then delete the cookie. (Quick disclaimer here - never delete anything from a system file, unless you are 100% confident in what you are doing!)
I have turned all my internet settings up as high as possible without compromising site such as this, my blocked senders list is going to rival the bible in content soon and I have a lot of sites on my restricted list.

I, too had the problem with OE not letting me open my own attachments sent from work, a source I knew to be virus free. Very frustrating when the deadline is the next morning!

I recommend running a spyware scanner once a week, going to security update pages for your software once a week, and running the update manager on your antivirus software as often as you log on. Remember, an antivirus is only good until it fails you!

Love, Palefire

xxx
"You are going down a path that I cannot follow"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal