Author Topic: Decorations  (Read 5721 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Decorations
« on: December 10, 2003, 00:08:50 »
So when do you put up your Christmas decorations (if you do it at all)? I ask 'cos today while driving between the Dentists and my sister's (getting two visits over in one swell foop), we noticed an awful (and a lot of awful) houses with ghastly lights and things. Sister's neighbour had a 12 foot tall inflated Father Christmas outside. Made us both wish for a large pin. One house had a rather deflated Santa hanging from an upstairs window. Suicidal Santa?
Us, ours go up on Chrismas Eve, if one of the daughters can be bothered. The lights on the tree get switched on on Christmas Day and only then. They plug in the same socket as the Computer which is a lot more use. We manage to put up with them until New Years Eve then they go away for another year  (or with any luck forever).
Miserable or what? How about your sesonal dust gatherers?
Eric
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
Gardening is the great leveller.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re: Decorations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 00:14:36 »
Do I detect a bit of the Bah Humbugs Eric?
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Suze_O

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 00:16:09 »
Last couple of years I have not done Christmas. Bah! Humbug!

Split up with partner just before Crimbo, consequently was very detached from situation.

We have very upmarket supermarket here.  Five days before Christmas a lady went in and spent £1500 on goodies.  Staff helped said lady with three loaden trollies to 4x4 in carpark, passing on the way Salvation Army playing.

She did not even given them tuppence.

Sort of said it all for me.  Conspicious compsumption and nothing to do with peace on earth and goodwill.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 00:21:48 »
Scrooge was too jolly by half!. (You can  write tongue in cheek, but it doesn't half hurt if you talk like that).
Gardening is the great leveller.

Suze_O

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 00:27:56 »
Sorry,

Maybe I'm getting into Poison Ivy mode for panto. ... :(

Let's whup dem ol' Oak trees like dey never been whupped before  .... ;)

When are we doing this production anyway?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 00:28:54 »
Hate to say it.but I love Christmas! Having lived away from all my nearest and dearest for so many years, it makes me appreciate that some of us are still together for another year to enjoy!
Our tree went up on Sunday, daughter and hubby chopped it down, (I would have put ours up on Christmas eve too, but gave in to pressure!)
There is a house down the road that is COVERED in lights, giant polar bear, things that move, even a Mickey n Minnie mouse! you name it he has it!! But I have to say, it is certainly a talking point, and everyone stops to have a look and a smile!! The chap will give out sweets to the kids(and parents) if he is in, and he donates money to charity ;D Wouldn't like his electricity bill though :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
be: Decorations
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 00:38:16 »
Hi Eric.In answer to your question,my tree of several years standing duly went up today,plus baubles and other bits on it,but having forgotten that the lights packed up last year and we were meant to get some more in good time,they will have to wait.It drops bits of branches on the carpet...and it's not even real.

I'm not a great lover of loads of decorations,and the cards are a pain after the first few.You run out of places to put them,and every time you switch on the hoover,they blow down.I gave up putting chocolate coins and stuff on the tree,after my  dog pulled the whole tree down one year in the middle of the night and ate the lot,silver paper and all. AND suffered no ill effects!!

By New Year's eve  the whole lot has been put away,cos the novelty of xmas has well and truly worn off.I think as we get older it becomes a bit of a bind to be honest.You are more likely to want the presents you buy for someone else,than you are the ones you receive.

Yes,Scrooge is alive and kicking alright!!But in my defence,the best part of xmas is giving the presents and seeing them opened and appreciated,when you have spent a long time choosing just the right thing.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL !
Margaret

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 00:49:39 »
Well Chrimbo has always been a very important part of my family life.  My dad LOVED it, and now he is no longer around, it is a painful time, but still I LOVE it, thanks to him!  Hub and I have 2.5 nippers and they are soooooo excited by it all, and fortunately aren't yet into the 'I wants' stage.  Decs went up this weekend, enough to be very very festive, but not over the top.  No scrooges welcome here, mince pies and mulled wine all round!  Mind you, by new years eve they have normally all been packed away as they do get in the way when I am trying to do the housework!   ;D

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 00:52:12 »
Yo Eric

Ours are already up.... thing is.. why take em down?  okay, leave out the meery crimbo and happy new yer slogans, but wouldn't the streets be a buzz to walk around at night?... hmm

thinking about probably not, cuz of all the light polution and I like looking up at the night sky.. yeah a few weeks iz more than enough... blinking blonking
light polutey peeps.... :)

oZzY %)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 00:55:34 »
Ok, you made me do it!  ;D  So long as I can remember how to post a photo that is!!

will try and get a photo of the house down the road just for you Eric!! Might take a pin with me just in case....................................... ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 01:00:11 »
Loverly Dottie P simply loverly.Well done with the picture too.You'll have to tell me how after xmas when i hopefully will have my new digi camera.Yes I have been good.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 01:00:49 »
Somebody (can`t now remember who) once defined Christmas as "spending a lot of money you grudge on presents nobody wants for people you don`t like".
The postman (who earns many times as much as Gordon Brown pays me for my pension) expects a lavish tip for simply doing his job, although he never apologises when he delivers my letters at lunchtime, the dustbin men expect a lavish tip for strewing rubbish in the road outside my drive, the window cleaner expects a lavish tip for damaging my paintwork with his ladder and smearing my windows, etc. etc.

My sons, their spouses and my 8 grandchildren expect to be lavishly entertained, which means that my wife spend all Christmas cooking and preparing food and I spend all Christmas at the kitchen sink washing up (they don`t wish to risk offence by offering to help, and their houses aren`t big enough for the purpose).

I put up and decorate the Christmas tree every year, and without fail, one of the little b*ggers pulls it over and breaks half the light bulbs before the day is out.

All the females wear their new party dresses, which means they aren`t warm enough, and the central heating has to be turned up to well nigh unbearable levels. The grandchildren always assume we can`t hear them properly unless they increase the volume by several decibels, and, of course, they always finish up quarrelling with each other. And, of course, treasured china and glassware disintegrates.

When they finally all go home my wife and I heave a sigh of relief and say "Thank God that`s over", and spend the next 3 days recuperating and cleaning up, and my wife says "Next year we`re going into a hotel for Christmas and enjoy ourselves without all this work"

But we never do!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:12 by -1 »

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 01:05:58 »
What could anyone add to that Hugh I think that you about covered everything.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 01:12:21 »
You know what...come to me for Christmas!   ;D

Suze_O

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 01:13:17 »
Well done

You never mentioned Tiny Tim in your monologue!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 01:15:32 »
Blimey, don't we all have different Christmas's!
Everyone who is around comes over on Christmas Eve to peel and chop veg.Then we have Fondue.
Has always been our family tradition that the men, guests included, wash up after dinner! Pressies are not opened until everything is tidy! (Good incentive) We all pay per head for the meal, (so I do not have to pay the brunt of it!) And we even put a limit on how much we spend on each other! (you try and find a gift for £5! Makes for interesting pressies!!, tho we have put it up to £10 this year) We cram into my tiny conservatory to eat, and when they have all gone.......we say what a great time we had! ;D

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 01:20:19 »
packet of seeds will do this jose :)  oooooer I'd love a wheelbarrow though... hmmmmmmm nicey shiney wheeley moving machine... droooooooooooooooooooooooool

oZzY %)

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 01:21:20 »
Suze_O, that`s `cos we can never remember which one he is - there seems to another one nearly every time we count them.  But they all have one touching faith:-

"If Mummy says no, ask Grandma or Grandpa"

It never fails!

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 01:31:59 »
    I've given in to the pressure and have agreed to get the tree and put up decorations on Sunday. Littl'un is quite good about the "I wants" and is content with writing long lists to Father Christmas.
My main bugbear is homemade decorations, not the nice ones she makes, but the scrappy bits of paper that never quite look like what they're supposed to be  >:(
I know it's mean and I have to try really hard to be pleased with every scrap of shiny paper - many get lost .
Was really proud of her the other day, she won a soft toy at the school fair and announced that she had plenty and could we give it to the poor children......
...... The christmas spirit is out there somewhere ......
Happy gardening, Robin x

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 01:56:42 »
Okay then, here I go..(times past)

Christmas starts on the 17th..the house has been cleaned for the last time that year and the tree gets brought in and decorated while we drink wine and play Christmas carols. Then some other things are put around the place. And we drink more wine and play more Christmas carols. And the festive season is declared 'open' ...

Decorations come down on the 6th (Epiphany) but not before we've had a lethal Epiphany party...just when our Brit friends think that their livers have survived another year.. ::) - Lishka

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal