Author Topic: Some of the big ones I had this year  (Read 4678 times)

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
Some of the big ones I had this year
« on: August 15, 2005, 07:58:14 »
I posted some pics of some of my plants last year, and here are some new pics from my garden this year.  Most of the pics were taken on 8/12, with a few on 8/9 in the great garden state, New Jersey.  All and all it wasn't a great year.  I was expecting a lot better out of some of my plants and I was actually kind of disappointed.  Hopefully I'll have better pics for everyone next year.   For reference, I'm around 6'3 1/2" and 220 lbs.

Here is a picture of a row of Bott's Strain sunflowers.  The odd man out is the larger leaved & shorter Ripley's Giant sunflower in the front. 

Here is a 14+ ft. sunflower that I bred last year between a white shelled Craven X Bott's Strain.  This variety seems to be even more aggressive in growth than the Bott's Strain. 

Here is a picture of a tropical maize variety named Jala.  The tallest plant is over 14 ft. tall with no tassel.  I reach about 8 ft, and the hook pole is about 6 ft to give you an idea of scale. 

Picture of my beautiful wife at 5'6" lost in my garden, standing next to 15+ ft. Jala maize, most without tassels. 

Picture of 13+ ft. sunflowers given to me by Richard Hope.  Nice plants, but far short of what I was hoping for.  I will still be using them in the future for crosses with other varieties.

Picture of a crop of Jala maize at 14 ft.  This pic was taken on 8/9/05 and the plants are now over 15 ft, most with no tassels.

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Some of the big ones I had this year
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:25:58 »
That maize is fantastic.  Certainly the stuff that the bad guys chase you through in the spooky movies.  Does it produce edible corn and do you have to get the step ladder out to harvest it?  By the way welcome.
Get with the beat Baggy

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 16:14:10 »
Thanks for sharing photos. They certainly are  high specimens. Spent 2 weeks in NJ in 1992 when our youngest daughter was a Nanny there.Regards Lorna.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 23:44:38 »
You want to swap anything for some seeds?  ;) See if they reach 4ft in aberdeen ::)
I LOVE OP AMPS!

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 17:24:44 »
The maize is tropical; so I don't have the correct conditions here to get silk.  I've been told by the person who gave them to me that they need long night treatments while they are young to get silk.

I should have a lot of seeds from the sunflowers though.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 16:31:27 »
wow those sunflowers are amazing , i just love sunflowers such happy flowers

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 18:01:18 »
  If you need any, just send me an email at sunflower_info@yahoo.com

You want to swap anything for some seeds?  ;) See if they reach 4ft in aberdeen ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal