Author Topic: wine from passionflowerfruit & grapes  (Read 2089 times)

Imp

• Not So New ...
wine from passionflowerfruit & grapes
« on: August 14, 2005, 18:51:26 »
Hi All,
I've got my creme de cassis bottled and very yummy it is too  :P

I have a huge passion flower plant scrambling in the back garden competing for space with our grape vine.  We have loads and loads of passion flower fruit (the yellow/orange fruit with blackberry like seeds inside); although I eat a few I can't eat them all and most go to waste, which I hate.  Regrettably, the ducks and chickens don't like them which is virtually unheard of! 

I wondered if anybody had a recipe or idea of how I could make either a nice passion flower fruit wine or liquour as we have a bumper harvest just beginning to ripen now?

The other fruit I don't know how to make wine into, ironically, is the grapes  ::)!  They're a red skinned variety with pips.  Not too good to eat, they have an earthy, slightly bitter flavour so I wondered if there is a secret to making wine from these? 

Thanks in advance  ;D

Lynda

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
Re: wine from passionflowerfruit & grapes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 19:18:53 »
Here are two recipes. The first makes a fuller-bodied wine, but the second makes a more interesting one. Both recipes are for one gallon.

Passion Fruit Wine (1)
4 lbs passion fruit
2-1/4 lbs finely granulated sugar
7 pts unsweetened white grape juice from reconstituted concentrate
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 oz pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin 71B-1122 (Narbonne) (1st choice) or
Lalvin D-47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) wine yeast
Clean fruit and discard any that are unsound or under-ripe. Chop fruit coarsely and place in nylon straining bag, saving any juice that emits during chopping. Tie bag and place with juice in primary. Crush fruit well with hands. Add sugar, crushed Campden, yeast energizer, and white grape juice. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary and set aside 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover primary and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Squeeze bag and stir must daily until specific gravity drops between 1.010 and 1.015 (about 5-7 days of vigorous fermentation). Drip drain pulp (squeeze bag gently only), rack into secondary, top up, and fit airlock. Ferment to dryness, racking every 30 days until wine clears. Stabilize and sweeten if desired, although it is best as a dry wine. Wait 10 days and rack into bottles. Aging of this wine depends on its astringency. Taste after 6 months and age longer if not ready. May take a year. Served chilled.

Passion Fruit Wine (2)
5 lbs passion fruit
2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
7 pts water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 oz pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin 71B-1122 (Narbonne) (1st choice) or
Lalvin D-47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) wine yeast
Clean fruit and discard any that are unsound or under-ripe. Chop fruit coarsely and place in nylon straining bag, saving any juice that emits during chopping. Tie bag and place with juice in primary. Crush fruit well with hands. Add sugar, crushed Campden, yeast energizer, and water. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary and set aside 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover primary and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Squeeze bag and stir must daily until specific gravity drops between 1.010 and 1.015 (about 5 days of vigorous fermentation). Drip drain pulp (squeeze bag gently only), rack into secondary, top up, and fit airlock. Ferment to dryness, racking every 30 days until wine clears. Stabilize and sweeten if desired, although it is best as a dry wine. Wait 10 days and rack into bottles. Aging of this wine depends on its astringency. Taste after 6 months and age longer if not ready. May take 2 years, but will be worth it. Served chilled.

Recipe's by  Ron Senn.

Imp

• Not So New ...
Re: wine from passionflowerfruit & grapes
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 20:43:00 »
Cool, thanks Travman!  The recipe says passion fruit but mine are passionflower fruit (same family I believe but not the ones you find in the shops) they are yellow.  Do you think it'll still work?

Lynda  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal