Author Topic: racing pigeon  (Read 3133 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
racing pigeon
« on: August 10, 2005, 14:51:52 »
yesterday at work (pallet making yard) we found a knackered racing pigeon, found a number on her wing and phoned it, the guy lives in swansea and the bird was flying from swindon to swansea and work is near doncaster, sth yorks. so this poor bird had gone a long way. the guy said he'd arrange for someone to pick her up, but not heard anything, so looks like i'm gonna be able to keep her. (named her cybill) has anyone got any tips for looking after pigeons. I know to keep them in an airy cage outside (to prevent fanciers lung) and i've read that a rabbit hutch type deal with a perch is ideal. but i am unsure of what to feed her. I've been giving her wild bird seed and crushed bisciuts so she can get her strength back, but what do i do from hereon. At the moment she is in the bottom half of my cavvie cage, (dont worry, blocked entrance off and is plenty of space).
Any help gratefully received!!!

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: racing pigeon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 16:31:52 »
I don't know a lot about racing pigeons,and i would imagine there is a specific type mix she would be used to,but i am sure she will be grateful for corn and wild bird seed mixed.You will have spared her life by keeping her,i have heard that most pigeon keepers whose birds do not fly home but are found,will only wring their necks anyway.Not all, i hasten to add,but some do becuuase i knew a pigeon fancier once and he used to take on birds from other blokes to save their lives(he was one of the nice ones!)

If you google pigeon keeping or pigeon food that may answer your query.
Margaret

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 22:51:44 »
Littlegem. That was kind of you to ring the guy. We raced pigeons  from 1980/1984 as we had a haulage company and a small lorry we use to train the birds for other members of the club..We once let 300 birds go and between all the members only 85came home., there are variuos reasons why this can happen..There is a ring on the bird which gives a number and each number is registered to the owner by the racing pigeon assoc. The guy should either collect the bird or tell you he does not want it back..Very often after a short rest if the bird is released it will find its way home but in the case where the bird is really off line that doesn't always happen..
Margaret is quite right some  fanciers do not give the bird a second chance which is terrible . Lorna.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 10:36:14 »
well its now saturday and the people the welsh guy had called to pick her up haven't been, even though they keep telling him they will!!! thats not very helpful of them, i wonder if they have birds and sometimes need someone to pick one of theirs up? I bet they would like a deal more help themselves. I'll have to wiat and see what happens, even though i've grown to the idea of keeping her!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 13:08:39 »
If you phone the welsh Guy  and ask Him ,He wil prob tell you You can have the Pigeon.
You feed it on mixed pigeon feed (corn peas and beans mixed)I think most pet shops sell it in quarter of a stone or silly metric equivelant...
It's the young birds races at the moment and a lot do get lost .
ALso there is a theory that the cellphone towers are affecting the birdsHoming instincts
If You do keep it make sure it is hungry the day you decide to let it out for its first flight
Then you stand a good chance of getting it back ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 18:17:48 »
thanks Jim, i did say to the welsh guy if it was too much trouble getting her back then i don't mind keeping her but he said he'd rather have her back as she's a young bird. dont think theres chance of these people actually coming and getting her though. She's looking really well considering the skinny state she was in when i found her. She's white with dark tail and wings and has a lovely pink tinge on her neck. I do hope i can keep her, it'll be one stage closer to having my petting zoo!!!!! :D :D :D i'm on the prowl for some rescue battery hens at the moment!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal