Author Topic: round squash type things  (Read 1819 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
round squash type things
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:49:40 »
now we've cleared the last bit of our plot (hooray!) we've discovered that the plot behind's squash plants have grown over the fence and four foot into ours!
there are about fifty plants on their plot so i figure that they won't miss a couple of fruit!
they look excactly like my courgette plant, same leaves, big yellow flowers but the fruit are different, they're light green and round, about the size of tennis balls.
do you think they're globe courgettes, ready for picking?
or baby pumpkins, too small and not yet orange?
is there a way of telling?
the owner of the plot has never been seen and his beans have been cropping for weeks but he hasn't picked any. we had hoped that when he harvested we'd catch him to ask him.
thanks Dave

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: round squash type things
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:02:36 »
If they are courgettes, then they are ready for picking. However if they are winter squash, then they need to grow, and ripen perhaps until about the end of September. There is no simple way of checking, except perhaps by taking a sample and seeing what it is like. I am not an expert here, so please wait for others to post . . .  :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 19:48:49 »
If they are very sprawling I would say they are squash and need more time before harvesting, I would wait until squash picking time, they are freebies anyhow, lucky you! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 08:50:11 »
I would say they are squash / pumpkins.

Our round courgette plants are more compact, than our squashes and pumpkins - which have spread a lot further !

Toadlily

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 17:22:20 »
These sound like gem squash to me, we used to get them in SA and managed to find some in the supermarket here. We ate them and are saving the seeds so we can grow our own crop!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 12:28:41 »
I've got some litle greeny striped squashes too but they aren't ready yet.  I think they're ready in October time.  I'd leave them on for a while and then you'll be getting free meals off em.  Lots of lovely pumpkin soup and curry.  Pumpking/squash wedges roasted in the oven.  They go well with flavours like cumin and nutmeg.  Pumpkin soup with cream on is lovely.  I made loads last year with pumpkin flesh which my lotty mate was chucking away.  He thought I was mad eating it but now he's a convert and we're always looking for ways to eat it.  We've done a joint growing venture this year and both have plots filled with different varieties and we're having a little competition.  The long pink banana is looking promising (thanks Loz)  :)

Your lotty neighbour won't mind you helping yourself I'm sure  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 14:01:17 »
These sound like gem squash to me, we used to get them in SA and managed to find some in the supermarket here. We ate them and are saving the seeds so we can grow our own crop!

Be careful with saved seed, they don't always grow into gem squash as they are promiscuous, ie. they will readily cross pollinate with any other squash. I bought some seed from Australia (couldn't find any locally) and they are growing superbly, will definitely be growing more next year again.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 14:17:29 »
I've got some Grey Crown seeds (Australian variety which is sold in supermarkets there) which I swopped with Moggle.  Ta very much  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal