Author Topic: New allotment - evil brambles  (Read 4498 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: New allotment - evil brambles
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 22:49:26 »
I have a raspberry patch which for various reasons has been left until now.One of the chief reasons was a large soil pile right next to it which I've only removed in the last few months! They're invading everywhere, but they're definitely not asbad as brambles. Raspberries invade by means of either roots or underground stems (I'm not sure which) which produce new plants, sometimes several feet away. If you're organised, you use these to replace old plants which don't produce so well. Sorting that lot out is going to be a job for this winter.

Brambles, on the other hand, spread by means of the stems, which as most of us know, go yards along the ground, and root all over the place. They go far faster as a result.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 22:51:10 by Robert_Brenchley »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 14:06:16 »
Just came across this on a site called gardenhelper.com. Has anyone tried either of these? I dare say I'll end up trying both, and everything else:

"It is sometimes possible to kill woody weeds (like blackberries) by driving a few COPPER nails into the stem or trunk. This is not a foolproof method, and may only kill a portion of the plant, but I have had good success in the past. If you can find the copper nails to use, it is worth a try!

"In areas where the ground freezes solid for a prolonged time (for a week or more), there will be a period immediately after the thaw, when the roots of woody weeds have very little hold into the soil. During this period the soil is in a loose, unpacked state. The ground 'heaves' or rises up when the water in the soil freezes solid. When the temperature again rises above freezing, the ice melts and flows back into the soil. This leaves the soil temporarily in this heaved state, with voids where the frozen water had been. If you can handle working in the cold, you will be amazed at the ease of which you can tug these woody weeds out of the ground."
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 14:16:26 »
I've knocked my brambles back with glyphos which has weakened them sufficient to dig them up but not so with the rasps. They just laugh it off and have come back with beautiful new foliage.  They might be in the way but are not causing any real probs for me at the mo so I'm not fretting about them.  My OH dug one or two up last time he was on the plot but he left them sitting there and they are still growing away  quite happily out of the soil  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 14:20:20 »
My mate Simon was going to give me some raspberry plants. Sod that for a game of soldiers! They sound like zombies
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 14:42:00 »
Oh I'd have some as they are delicious  ;D   I have reached a truce with mine.  I'm going to dig some up and plant them where I want them as they look perfectly healthy  :)  I shall (well not me exactly but my OH) will dig them out as we clear the plot.  No, still not done it yet but what's the rush  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 23:04:00 »
I tried the copper nail treatment on a stray sycamore in my hedge, and it didn't do a thing. Finding coppernails can be difficult if you live away from the sea, but any ships' chandler will have them; I got some sent up from Cornwall years ago.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 12:20:36 »
I'm going to have fun trying to find a ship's chandler in Cambridge :D. Actually there are any number of strange little shops around, and I do like asking stupid questions, so I might have a go.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 22:12:36 »
I tried the Net, but the only one which came up on a quick search was in New Zealand!

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 11:49:54 »
Come on Bupster - there's always Cutlacks - they do everything.  I'm sure it's a plan that if someone asks if they have something they WILL find it for you in some dark room out that back.  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 12:26:02 »
Is that in Ely? I was going to try HGs on Mill Road, as I'm fairly certain they do actually sell everything in the known world in a shop the size of my bathroom. Or the Nasreen Dar on Histon Road, which is the only corner shop I've ever known sell three different types of boxing gloves.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 12:32:01 »
No - far end of Mill Road so have a look there when you visit HGs.  There is one in Ely too.  Never tried Nasreen Dar as I'm off Mill Road but must take a trip there - sounds v. interesting.  Oh, you could try McKays on East Rd while you are nearby.  They do loads of building materials.  Hope you find them!!!!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 13:21:37 »
You are evil, lazybones. Found Cutlacks on my lunch break. Am now proud possessor of hand fork, grass hook and cast iron chicken doorstop. Have no doors to stop. Must buy door.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005, 08:54:08 »
Ah, a girl after my own heart.  Just imagine living 5 mins cycle from there then.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal