Author Topic: 'Red Sun'  (Read 2945 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
'Red Sun'
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:42:51 »
Here's my 'Red Sun' Sunflower, just opened fully 2 days ago:

and here it is starting to open:

Petals from the back:

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: 'Red Sun'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 16:50:22 »
very nice TL~the last image is my favourite :) :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 13:13:27 »
Hi GW, going to try and collect seed from it so there might be some up for grabs later in the year.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 21:40:20 »
That is so lovely.  I am definately going to try some next year, grandchildren will love them. Do you buy seeds of a specific variety or do they come in mixed packets? Lorna.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 22:33:31 »
Hi Lorna,

You can buy single varieties and mixed. Just make sure you check what height they can get to. 'Red Sun' is a nice size, 5-6 feet,you can get them growing over 10 feet high. No room in my garden for something that big. Check out anywhere that sells seeds or try somewhere like http://www.thompson-morgan.com who do mixed Sunflowers in packets containing individual packets of each variety. I have another Sunflower which is much smaller, a Dwarf Variety called 'Big Smile', multi-flowered and grows no bigger than 18 inches high. If I get decent seed crops from both, I could send you some.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 23:44:54 »
Twospot. Thanks for reply, does Sunflower name mean it needs to be planted in full sun? Any special needs... what feed etc. Seeds would be lovely, thankyou. My printer is now working again (I have been known to remark on what a dimwit I am with all this newfangled machinery) Told my son I will have to buy new printer and it tuns out that somehow I had put it on pause so of course the d**n thing wouldn't work, I just like to print out all the answers to my questions as I am building a nice file., certainly wouldn't rely on the old memory these days. Best wishes Lorna.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 09:29:13 »
Hi Lorna,

Here's T&M's growing instructions:

Sowing Instructions: Sow March to May, thinly, 12mm (½ inch) deep in drills 30cm (12 inches) apart in well cultivated soil raked to a fine tilth. Germination usually takes around 21 days.

Growing Instructions: When large enough to handle, thin seedlings to 30cm (12 inches) apart. Alternatively, you can sow indoors in late winter/early spring for earlier flowering. Sow individually into 7.5cm (3 inch) pots at 20-30C (68-86F). When well grown, gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions before planting out after all risk of frost.

Aftercare Instructions: Prefers a well drained soil in full sun. Flowers mid/late summer to autumn.

I sow mine in pots on the windowsill, germination is much quicker. Once they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches high, I grow them on in my mini greenhouse until planting time. Watchout for slugs though, I lost 6 dwarf sunflowers due to them even though the seedlings were in my mini greenhouse. Vaseline on the pots is a great deterrent but make sure the slugs can't get to your seedlings from other plants.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 21:57:16 »
Twospot. many thanks all printed and filed. Lorna.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal