Author Topic: inherited greenhouse  (Read 3050 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
inherited greenhouse
« on: August 16, 2005, 14:33:36 »
just taken on a second half plot and discovered (under the six foot bindweed and marsh weed jungle) that there is a little greenhouse hiding there  ;D
it's full to capacity with bindweed, and the glass is all green and mossy.
assuming it doesn't collapse when i pull the weeds out, what's the best thing to clean it with?
the door is hanging off, is that REALLY bad news? (or easy access for bees  ;D)
is there anything i should be aware of before i begin?
never grown under glass before, i'm so excited................

Diana

• Acre
Re: inherited greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 16:40:02 »
Lucky you!

I inherited one last year, similar to the way yours sounds, but replace the bindweed with nettles + creeping thistle + the door problem with broken glass + holes (a wooden one + I think the mice have taken advantage.

Still have the holes to fill in, but glass cleaned nicely with just water (though I'm sure someone will suggest something stronger), the glass is a bit of a jigsaw, but does the job.

I'd advise getting as much weed out, make a solid path (slabs are good for heat + humidity, but weed supressant will do. I also grow in growbags to avoid further weed/desease probs, but this is definatly not essential.

This being my first year under glass I've experimented a bit so have 6 growbags of different things: toms, cues, aubs, had early courgette, peppers, chillis + even trying watermelon.

Just enjoy it + try not to worry too much. There's plenty of help on here if you get stuck

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 16:42:53 »
wow - what a lucky find!  8) must be bad if you have only just noticed it.

I would assume normal glass cleaning products would work - or start with hot soapy water (if you can get that anywhere near your lottie!) to wash the worst of it off.

Have to leave the rest to someone else, but will nick the replies!  :o we were lucky enough to win a greenhouse in a competition earlier this year and will be putting it up in Autumn.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 22:03:11 »
Daveandtara. WHEN you have done all the hard work...clearing the weeds. I have found a good way to disinfect my greenhouse is to use Jeyes fluid, I mix it in a small sprayer and I find this gets in to all the nooks and crannys. I do this twice a year, after I have put all the cuttings out and again when I remove all the toms and cues ready for overwintering the cuttings and plants. Good luck.L orna.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 15:27:37 »
What kind of magazines are you reading, Wardy? :D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 16:43:26 »
Wardy - that sounds like a job for Jon Tickle on Brainiac (anyone seen that show on Sky One)  ;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 18:03:44 »
Yep - I've seen it.
Re the chilli powder.  When my MIL roasts her own curry powder we all evacuate so it could be right. ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 19:29:26 »
I have found that using a thin plant label is handy for poking at the moss that builds up between the overlapping panes.  It is easier to do when it  is, or has just been,  raining,  Lovely mindless chore to do when you have nothing else to do ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 22:55:10 »
i would go through the task of pretty much overhauling the GH, take out allll the clips and the glass, just leave the frame then butcher alll the weeds back lay your path, easier when you dont have to squeeze flags through a door and hope you dont smash the glass, then clean the glass when its out, blast the frame down with a pressure washer if possible and put all back togther with new clips, often on old greenhouses these will havwe rusted so fall apart and can cause problems with glass dropping out etc.   Best do it the hard way, leats then its done with!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 14:59:47 »
Standing well back. Can't wait.  8)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 18:11:53 »
Light touch paper and run - it don't 'arf make you cry.
Get with the beat Baggy

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 23:49:51 »
 :'(

Hello?? Can you see me through the..cough..smoke?....cough ....sniff

;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 18:37:36 »
And ............................................... ?
Get with the beat Baggy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal