Author Topic: Holiday in Spain  (Read 8330 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Holiday in Spain
« on: August 09, 2005, 13:11:22 »
We have booked a fortnight in a 4 star hotel in Lloret, on the Costa Brava in Spain, from Monday 15th August. Total cost around £3500 for a family of 4.

There is one snag. My son lost his passport several weeks ago, and the replacement has not arrived. The passport agency said they despatched it last Thursday. It has not appeared. Checking our insurance, it specifically excludes problems arising from passport documentation delays.

This is an anxiety I could well do without, but it needs to be dealt with. With only 3 post days left, I have had to look at contingencies, assuming that the passport WILL actually appear.

The first is that my son stays at home. He has already stated that he is willing, but that would ruin my holiday as well, so there seems no point in me travelling either, leaving my wife and daughter to enjoy themselves without us.

The second is that we contact the travel company, and explain that we (my son and I) will need to travel at a later date for the outward journey. I have already organised that, and they have pencilled us in for outward travel on the Friday 19th, dropping us off at the nearest town, which is 4 miles away. So at least we would salvage 10 days of our holiday.

The third, assuming that the passport arrives quickly AFTER the coach departure,ie on the Monday, is to get a flight to Barcelona, and then find our way up the coast about 30-40 miles to the hotel. Rail links are pretty good. At estimate, this would be about £300 for the two of us.

My son has explained that he is willing to travel out on his own on the coach, then I could meet him at the coach station locally in Spain. This presents a fourth option. We all have mobiles now, so it is easy to keep in touch by text etc.

This is not the way I wanted to prepare for my holiday!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 13:21:40 by Derekthefox »

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Holiday in Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 13:20:11 »
I'll keep my fingers, toes.... in fact everything crossed that the passport turns up on time. That's the last thing you want to be worrying about just a few days before you go off. Hope it all turns out well.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 13:25:24 »
If they posted it then it should appear before Monday even allowing for snail mail.  It is a nail biting time though Derek and like you say one which you could do without.  Why is nothing ever straightforward?  :(

Assuming that all works out well and you get the passport, have a fab holiday  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 14:39:29 »
Derek. Oh I do hope that it works out ok and that as a family you have a wonderful holiday
In 1992 husband me. son  daughter-in-law and grandson were going to America to visit young Lorna who was a Nanny out there. We had to park the car some way from the uk airport and then you were taken by minibus right to the airport.. We got right  to the airport and son said.. OMG I have left all my money and our passports in the glove compartment of your car. He had done the driving and his wallet was uncomfortable in his pocket. Anyhow we were beginning to run out of time  the minibus driver said you all go and book in. He rushed son back, after phoning his colleagues to tell them not to bury the car. Boy we made it by the skin of our teeth. That driver really didn't want to accept the tip my son gave him.
I am sure your problem will be solved with a smiling postman coming up your path tomorrow morning. Good luck and have a smashing time Lorna.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 14:57:56 »
Whew! ! !

The girl in our reception just came through and informed me that my wife had just received the passport - delivered by courier!

The girl was a bit surprised, cos I almost hugged and kissed her ! ! !

So yes, it all has turned out ok, but my blood pressure has certainly taken a hammering !

Thanks for your concerns, everyone.

Right I can start packing now. . .

(humming viva espana . . .)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 15:20:11 by Derekthefox »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 15:28:35 »
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Gardening is the great leveller.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 15:40:15 »
Oh that is fabulous news Derek

What a relief!
gone to pot :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 18:07:17 »
Have a great time, Derek. First Dibber.....Now you....but you can think of me a la cote de Suffolk, in me wellies!!! Have a wonderful time, glad the passport thing got sorted. Lottie ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 18:55:08 »
Thank you Lottie, the wait has been agonising, if you can imagine . . . Yes I will think of you, wellies, JCB, Bob and all !  :D Dibber will be back soon, so you will have someone to have a good natter with ! ! !  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 19:27:51 »
Bob doesn't wear wellies....... :-\ Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 19:29:21 »
Well he wouldn't would he. Swimming would be rather difficult I imagine !  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 19:32:27 »
no legs?  ::) ::) ::)  Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 20:10:31 »
Well that as well, but I know you live in hope ! ! !  :D
He could always wear ONE wellie ! !  !

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 22:32:32 »
Glad all has ended well Derek, if you are still chasing your yab god thing why don`t you go into the gallery . have a good holiday.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 22:44:21 »
Glad everything worked out, now you can relax and enjoy your holiday.

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 20:25:57 »

Have a nice time Derek  remember my post card and stick of rock..!!!!!
     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ack forgot I am on a diet :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 21:44:11 »
Phew I was 'fair sweating' for a mo then.  Enjoy your hols and have an extra jug of sangria for all your worrying.
Get with the beat Baggy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 18:07:36 »
Arrived home today, with loads and loads of wonderful photos to upload, only to find the camera had malfunctioned and saved them all as low resolution video files (320 x 240 bit), so I have no pictures to show you.  :'(

Sorry to all those who were expecting pictures . . .

Derekthefox  :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 20:34:53 by Derekthefox »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 23:09:01 »
Welcome home Derek! So, a good time was had by all?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 08:35:24 »
Yes Emma, apart from the pictures . . .

Derekthefox  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal