Author Topic: How should they look?  (Read 1973 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
How should they look?
« on: August 08, 2005, 11:12:16 »
Hi, Got  some varieties of  squash seed off lovely DorisP a while back.  They germinated well and I potted them on when the time was right and then planted them out in my lottie.  I trained them to grow up a twined frame and they shot up.  Then they started to fruit with little yellow globes, which got bigger and bigger. Not having grown squash before I am not sure what the varieties should look like as they all look the same to me.

However someone commented to me at the weekend that they thought they all looked like pumpkins.  I have a row of butternut squash, turks turbin and DP thought it was a little cheese variety.  The turks turbin row do look slightly different in that they look whiter and bigger, but still basically a round globe. I hopefully have posted a pic of what they generally look like, though they are in various sizes.  What do you think?  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: How should they look?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:42:45 »
I have seen yellow winter squash which do look very similar to pumpkins. Either way I would make sure you hav plenty of support and they will get rather heavy.  :D

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Re: How should they look?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 11:50:33 »
Hi Bizzie

If that is a line around the top (rather like a lid) then it may be turks turban, as I know they grow almost in 2 parts.

Sorry not much help I know - perhaps I will have a go with them next year

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal