Author Topic: another dead water garden pump  (Read 6859 times)

dotCompost

• Half Acre
another dead water garden pump
« on: August 07, 2005, 17:09:35 »
Cleaned the pond pump (Blagdon Amphibious P3500), and now it don't work.  >:( Checked the g'tee. It expired last month..!!  :-X  It seems that we buy a new pump - a better one each time - they last as long as the g'tee (3yrs) and then pwhuuff. Dead. It's happened about three or four times now.
Just bin down to our local water garden shop. They are very good there. Here we are again. 8) We come to see you every three years, just after the pump g'tee runs out.
So this time we have a Oase Aquamax 4000. A bit costly, but it shouldn't need cleaning so much and it's a five year guarantee. We'll see...  :-\

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: another dead water garden pump
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 20:14:06 »
Hiya Dot.No worries on that score.Apart from one pump,which my local aquarists said they stopped making because loads went wrong(and mine is still working fine after 7 years!!!) all my others have died,like yours, after only 2 or 3 years.

I now have the Oase Aquamax 6000 and what a brill pump it is.It needs cleaning far less and ,as you say, has a 5 year guarantee as well.They do look funny though,i swear it was a porcupine in a former life  ;D
Margaret

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 21:00:38 »
thanks for your reassurance Margaret  :)
so how long you had your Aquamax?

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 21:48:41 »
About 2 years.I had a Titan pump before and it was fine until the part where you unclip the pump from the casing had a piece break off and although i replaced it ,it happened again.Also in the past i used the Cyprio upright pumps which also gave up after a couple of years.The whole point is that they should be built to withstand constant use,as they are a life saver whilst working and can cause a nightmare situation if they stop suddenly without warning.I now keep a spare for emergency use as i have 2 large ponds. 
Margaret

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 22:09:09 »
;D So glad I read this as I have an Oase Nautilus 4000 that is running slow and find I am cleaning the pump filter more often now. ::)

I remember leaving the box in the front shed many years ago and just had a look and low and behold there it with a date on the box 23/3/02 and a sticker saying 5 year guarantee, ;D then I thought what chance of finding the receipt? and yes ;) we got it,  ;D just hope now that the company I bought it off is still there. :-[

dotCompost, if you haven't already thrown away your Blagdon try priming it in your pond ie: lifting in and out of the water whilst it is still running, it may just have needed a kick start. :-\ ;D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 13:13:51 »
dotCompost, if you haven't already thrown away your Blagdon try priming it in your pond ie: lifting in and out of the water whilst it is still running, it may just have needed a kick start. :-\ ;D
Will Do. I'll give it a go latter on  8)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 14:12:58 »
dotCompost, when cleaning your Blagdon do you dismantle it down to the porcelain ferrel by unscrewing it clockwise? and descale the magneto on the motor side as well as the pumphead side? on the latter I use emerycloth fine grade to remove limescale, works for me. ;)

I think they are brilliant pumps for the money and mine (I've had a few) have gone well past the warranty stage. 8)

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 22:47:48 »
yeah done that. Took it apart and gave it a good going over with sainsburys green scourer. No life in it yet.  >:(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 23:23:04 »
 :o Checked the fuse in the plug? :o ;D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 09:44:45 »
first thing we do  ;)
anyway the new Oase is wired in and working. Wow! what a waterfall we got :o Will have to turn it down as we are loosing some water over the sides of the waterfall basin.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 22:26:36 »
Hang on to your receipt, 5 years is a long time, the ink has faded on my receipt in 3 years :o I phoned the shop that I bought it off they told me to place the pump in a bucket of water with lime descaler for 40 minutes, lying still for 20mins and running for 20 mins, I thought this a little strange so I e-mailed Oase about it and have not yet received a reply. >:(

Did the descaling and it hasn't improved so it's going back to the shop tomorrow...Watch this space. >:(

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 22:51:08 »
I'm still watching :)

What did they say?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 23:05:06 »
::) Oops! ;D Forgot this post :P I took the pump back to the shop, he plunged it into a tank filled with water, plants and gravel, I pointed out to the shop owner that I'd forgot to bring the filter casing :o he said thats OK and went on to test the said pump, his conclusion was it was performing too well for an exchange, although not performing at its best, he suggested I take it home leave it a month then descale it again, if not happy come back to him. :-\

I thought he had damaged the pump when I saw him picking out gravel and bits of plant life, but it appears OK. ::) :P ;D

Not the result I was hoping for but willing to give it a try as I still have 18 months left of the guarantee, but would add the pump does seem to be performing better a week on from the descaling, so he may have a valid point. :-\

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 12:52:09 »
Far be it for me to suggest doing anything untoward to the affore mentioned pump but I'm led to believe as I'm sure you are probably aware that most pumps don't run that well when not in water :) I'd perhaps give it a few weeks mind  ;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 22:00:19 »
 :o Ooh! Anthony, you are awful :D but I like you :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 08:57:15 »
Ta for this pump advice folks.  I am about to plunge into the world of pumps and water features so all this info beforehand is good stuff.

I came, I saw, I composted

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 13:13:54 »
Wardy,a very good site to look at is www.watergardeningdirect.co.uk  they are local to me and have helped me out loads of times.Lots of good advice and great prices.
Margaret

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 14:19:07 »
Ta for the advice.  Will do  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 12:07:21 »
Funny you should say that Margaret I have just ordered a oase 4000 for my Mum a couple of days ago and they were very helpful, even funnier was the fact I found them when buying a futon for daughters bedroom! Bought the futon and then looked on the site for a pump for Mum!  Prices seem very good too!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 20:57:51 »
Hi Doris.The people who work for the company go back a long way in this area.Cyprio was founded about 20 years ago and had premises in the same village as me.They began by selling pond equipment but then devised their own filtration system and from there went on to make pumps as well.15 years ago when we moved to this house we went there for the liner,pump and filter.Since then I have always gone there for all my stuff as they were always willing, with good advice.All my original fish came from there and i still have 3 out of 4 of my beautiful orfe from there.

They moved to larger premises about 8 years ago,then decided to sell out to Hozelock.They are now known as Hozelock-Cyprio.The company folded but 4 of the chaps who had worked there for years set up on their own and took on internet sales as their main income.2 years ago they again moved to larger premises.I am very lucky they are still only about a mile away.I have spent hundreds of pounds there and whenever i need advice,whether with fish or pond mechanics they are always happy to help.They deserve to do well.
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal