Author Topic: What's eating my plant?  (Read 4480 times)

Yellow Petals

What's eating my plant?
« on: August 05, 2005, 13:00:45 »
ROSEBUD asked me to put up this photo to see if anybody can offer some advice as to what is munching on the bottom half of this plant (LOBELIA QUEEN VICTORIA)  Thanks.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: What's eating my plant?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 13:16:41 »
I think it must be slugs/snails (although it looks like pellets in the pot). They absolutely love this plant & I gave up growing it as a result.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 09:02:16 »
Yellow Petals - If it is slugs, and it looks that way  ??? - you could try putting egg shell (a lot of it!) in the pot around the plant.  Slugs and snails do not like egg shells as to them it is like walking on glass.

Having said that, if it were slugs, you would find their dead bodies in the pot or next to it (because of the pellets) - I hope you find the culprits !
 :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 09:44:51 »
Yep... tis deffo slugs/snails.   I had this plant decimated down to green twigs about 2 years ago.  The little beggars stripped it overnight.  >:(  Leaves, flowers, even the barky stuff around the stem.  Get the slug pellets out girl.  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 17:43:58 »
Thanks all. Mimi, you seem to know having had the problem, the little swines my plant was keeling over,so i put it on the patio table every night so for the time being it has stopped BUT i shall resort to large quantaties of  slug pellets :o i don`t like to but they have gone to far this time. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 18:10:38 »
Feel daft saying this, but I don't know many slugs/snails that would leave lovely juicy leaves and take a neat patch out of the stalk, and it looks stripped. I know I'll so regret saying this, but is there anyway it could be a rabbit or something similar? You can giggle now!! Just a theory!!  :-\ Lottie  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 23:44:51 »
Its not daft U P because i thought it might be mice or even a rat having a nibble.
But after reading Mimi`s post it must be the slimey swines.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal