Author Topic: You said I could.......only showing off the bean harvest this time.  (Read 2465 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
First real harvest, three kilo's.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
:o Wow Ina what a crop :o how many canes do you have or what length are your rows? I have two double rows of approx. 11 ft and have only collected a fraction of your haul, although there is still plenty to come (Hopefully). Well done. ;D

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Fab looking beans Ina  :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
i picked half a kilo of beans last night and froze them for later in the year.
i do have cannelini and canadian wonder as well as my yellow hildora but might leave them to provide me with drying beans :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Total of 30 sticks, about 90 plants.
Loaded with baby beans so lots more to come.

I think this is going to be a good bean year.
Just love them beans!

Svea, I wonder if you leave the first bean crop hanging, will the plants grow more? Shouldn't you pick for a while and just leave the last ones (when you don't see many baby ones anymore) hanging for drying so you'll have more?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Ina. they are well worth showing, lovely pickings. I bet you will enjoy them. Lorna.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Boy oh boy Ina your beans are certainly doing you proud with that lovely crop. I still remember how good they tasted.  ;D

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Ina, are they rakkar beans again?  If so, then I am proud to say that my rakkar beans are the ones romping away in amongst my tomato plants, and they are loaded with lovely long long long crunchy beans!  You must have a big big big freezer!  What else will you be doing with them, pickles??

wardy

• Hectare
I only have a few runners and french beans cropping at the mo.  No momentum built up as yet.  thankfully though I;m watering someone else's plot and he's told me to keep picking his dwarf french beans.  they're yellow and absolutely fab  ;D  I think I'm addicted.  He drops them into boiling water for about a minute, then refreshes them in cold water, and then puts them in a bag with his home made dressing or just fresh vinaigrette.  shakes the bag about a bit and leaves it in the fridge to go cold then eats them on his salads or just keeps opening the fridge door and scoffing them  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Yep, good old fashioned Rakkers. Freeze really well, I don't blanch them anymore and that works just fine. I do double bag them against freezer burn.
Got a big freezer, 210 liters plus two big freezer drawers under the fridge. Everything will be full by the end of summer.

Beans, beans, lovely beans.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: You said I could.......only showing off the bean harvest this time.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 23:32:04 »
I have Prizewinner, Scarlet Emperor and Streamline running up 52 canes = at least 156 plants and couldn’t equal that haul, :-[  maybe I’m being impatient, hope so. ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 23:37:54 »
Last year with the same amount of plants I totalled 21 kilo's.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 23:52:12 »
wardy - yellows are best. ask him if he/she grows hildora?

ina, i dont know. they are getting large and look very unlike french beans that i know. how would you get a good drying crop (i.e. for storage not just for saving seeds for follwoing year) if you pick them off?? i have no idea either way.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 07:44:07 »
Me neither, sorry. Never did dried beans.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 09:39:35 »
Svea I think they are Yellow something or other.  I'll tell him about Hildora thanks  :)     

Roy I have the same prob.  Loads of plants but not many beans but I think they'll soon be smothered

Ever the optimist Wardy  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal