Author Topic: Abusive emails  (Read 5663 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Abusive emails
« on: August 02, 2005, 13:32:00 »
I've been receiving numerous abusive emails every day for a few weeks now. All of them seem to originate from one of my own email addresses and contain attachments. I've been deleting all of them without opening. I used to have Norton Internet Security and Antivirus but removed it a few months ago because it slowed my laptop to almost a standstill. Am I receiving these because my email addresses are published on my website (spamming) or are they being generated from my own computer by a virus? If it's a virus I can reload the Norton software and scan the system but this takes a long time on my laptop so would prefer to avoid it if possible.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Diesel

• Half Acre
Re: Abusive emails
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 13:41:37 »
Norton is pretty poor at cleaning machines and slows a lot of machines to a halt.

Have a look at mcafee it is a lot better.

If you have no virus software on then you are probably infected.

The only way to tell where the message originates is to check the email headers.Depending on the email client you use they are checked in deifferent ways.A spammer/virus can spoof the sender addressto make it look like its coming from anyone.

If you are publishing your address on a website in the format me@my.com then it can be harvested by spam programs and added to lists.It is safer to use meATmy.com and put a sidenote asking people to change AT for @.

once you get your virus software on and the machine cleaned check for spyway/malware and apply any windows patches.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 13:51:04 »
Good idea about the @ in the email address, thanks, will update the websites now. Norton is due for renewal next month so I will most likely change to mcafee, my laptop does virtually come to a standstill with Norton. Thanks for your help Diesel :)

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 20:51:56 »
If you want a goods FREE antivirus then use Avast I have had it 2 years and it will find most things
www.avast.com
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 22:37:52 »
WASSISNAME , would you trust it with your bank account details? Or better still would banks trust it to be safe? ???

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 00:23:58 »
AVG is considered a good free program.

I would also run Adaware and spybot to be on the safe side.

as a final check Hijack this if you are confident user.

Have a look here to link to the download sites.

http://www.dicky-net.co.uk/technical/safety.htm

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:54:22 »
Thanks everyone :) I've scanned with Norton and McAfee and no viruses were found. I aleady have spybot and adaware and have done another scan with them, 35 entries found and now destroyed. The emails stopped at 5pm yesterday, have had 2 through this morning, just viruses as attachments though and nothing abusive thankfully. Will have to wait and see, still early in the day. I've also installed ZoneAlarm again and it's been blocking a fair amount so perhaps there was a problem there, not sure.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 20:06:23 »
Roy, I have trusted more than my bank accounts with Avast Antivirus, BUT remember we are discussing Antivirus Programmes here and NOT spyware, Malware, Adware and keyloggers. All these I have covered with other programmes BUT rest assured they will not be Mcafee or NORTON

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 20:15:00 »
Have to agree norton is a waste of computer memory. Spybot is good for spyware removal, dedects and protects
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 21:48:10 »
;) Thanks for that WASSISNAME, I have to admit I am not very computer litterate :-[ but talking about spyware, I have recently noticed that Spybot Search and Destroy keeps congratulating me on having no spy's, this worried me a little so I did an Ad-aware search and that came up "No objects" so I'm thinking Microsoft must have got their act together and installed a spy gizzmo that works automatically? Can this be? or have my two spyware softwares been got at? ???

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 00:24:36 »
I think spybot is a charity type arrangement, after all having no spyware is something to be congratulated ;D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 18:31:43 »
For the information of those members that may be interested, Below is a list of the security  programmes that I run on a regular basis. All the programmes are FREE from the Internet sites

AD-AWARE SE.PERSONAL
SPYWARE BLASTER ( This programme amongst other things blocks diallers being downloaded )
EWIDO SECURITY SUITE
A SQUARED http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
AVAST ANTI VIRUS.
I was using Spybot but I found that is was missing a lot of enteries.
The theory is I suppose, All these programmes may miss some but are then picked up by other programmes. And the usual one that Spybot was missing was Nav Exel I also use Microsoft Antispy which is very good if you are running Windows XP, but I don't think you can use it on Windows 98.
It is worth looking up these programmes and deciding for yourself if you want them.
My operating system Is Windows XP Home edition Running Mozilla Firefox Web Browswr and Mozilla Thunderbird Email.
and Yes Roy. Microsoft may well have got their act together at long last, But will it last and if I were paranoid I might think that Microsoft are not reporting their own spy programmes  ;D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 20:03:15 »
jessevieve i dont know if this is any help to you but i run Mcafee on both my laptops smaller program but just as good and does not slow laptop down

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 20:16:46 »
We have McAfee at work and it is marvellous. 
I also block any emails containing say the word "P E N I S" from my Yahoo account and it works.  However lately, I have been receiving a mass of unwanted emails from unknown sources.  They have all gone to my Bulk folder.  Have moved them to Inbox and SPAMMED them ,,, >:(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 20:42:31 by Marianne »
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 19:22:20 »
Yes, BT are a bit like that. I receive all my mail via Mozilla Thunderbird and only go to my BT / Yahoo mailbox about once a week and then delete everything in the Bulk Mail Folder. You should have a question mark in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, which is BT help, and you can use this to get information and advice from them FREE It works in the same way as instant messenger. Hope this helps

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 13:32:52 »
Please may I start off being a new member that I'm not a "boffin" regarding computers, but one things I've noticed is that when you download a new program that will protect your computer, they always appear to say you have a virus !!!!!, ( good Marketing?)  many variations that you download tend to conflict with what you already have incorporated and tend to inhibit the workings of the original.
Just my own thoughts - no doubt I'm wrong, however I'm open to anyone else's thoughts

Vony.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 14:35:10 »
There are very few of them that you can trust. Most of the ones that tell you you have spyware and ask you to download their program are themselves spyware.
The ones we use/have used are: Microsoft Antispyware. It's probably the best of the current bunch, but bear in mind that it is a beta version and they will probably start charging for it in the future. And it will not run on windows 95/98/ME.
Spybot Search and Destroy. Is almost as good, but does miss a few. You also have to update it manually, unless you go deep into the program to automate it.
AdAware. This works best in conjunction with Spybot, as each tends to find what the other has missed.

I personally would not trust any of the others.

Oops, forgot Spyware Blaster. This is slightly different, but works in conjunction with Spybot.

AVG, for me, is the best freebie antivirus program, but F-Secure and Kaspersky are reckoned to be the most secure of the purchased ones.

That's my tuppence worth.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 14:39:59 »
Robin,

You have made my day!!

I use Spybot, Adaware and AVG together and they have (so far) kept me clean and green.

Happy to add my recommendation for what it is worth.

Rosie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal