Author Topic: Leeks and drainpipes  (Read 4620 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Leeks and drainpipes
« on: July 27, 2005, 23:07:50 »
My leeks are romping away and I was thinking about trying out blanching some with old drainpipe.  I have a couple of lengths in the shed doing nothing, so, would you reccommend it?  I have earthed up 2 rows as best I can, but the 3rd row isn't quite so easy to do, so I thought I might try with them.  Pitfalls?????  ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Leeks and drainpipes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 23:11:01 »
It works well blanching the leeks but inspect them now & then, slugs love to use them as a hiding place

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 10:04:36 »
EJ I put some drainpipes around some of my leeks last year and was very disappointed with them, As Merry Tiller  said the slugs were a problem and I also found that the leeks tended to be mushy inside them.  I think you will Be as well of to earth them up with soil.
                                                             ;)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:22:14 »
I agree with Richard, I think the drainpipes will keep the moisture level too high, attracting slugs and also moulds etc. I always just dibber them in.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:11:51 »
Oh well, will have to find another use for the drainpipes.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 20:58:41 »
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong carrots??

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 06:57:09 »
You can use the drainpipe, but fill part way with sand or a very sandy mixture of sand and soil. this tends to keep the slugs at bay. Pure sand keeps them quite clean. but not orange builders sand, use play sand, silver sand or horticultural grit.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 17:36:06 »
Them drainpipes would go nicely with a pair of blue suede shoes! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 20:28:22 »
How far and when do you earth up?   Is it simply a case of waiting for the leeks to fill their holes and then drawing earth up to the point where the leaves open out? 

My book doesn't mention the 'when' bit  :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 20:54:49 »
Hi icyberjunkie
In my book it says to use a draw hoe to pull up soil around the plants several times during a season, but take care not to allow it to fall between the leaves.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 22:04:26 »
I use dibber to put leeks in as deep as possible and use drainpipes just for a few weeks before I harvest any leeks. When I harvest some use those drainpipes on the leeks I want to harvest in a few weeks etc. This prevents the leeks from becoming mushy and reduces the chances of slugs. I will check the leeks with drainpipes on every week or so to ensure there are no problems.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 07:52:18 »
Programme on TV last night (Friday) which featured a champion grower using pipe lagging wrapped in double layers around his leeks
His display won first at Chelsea for the tenth year running so maybe it works!!!!
Only joking his leeks looked superb

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 12:27:41 »
I think the whole of last night's prog was dedicated to veggies - which makes a change.  I enjoyed it especially as there was a chap from Chesterfield on  ;D
The presenter is a lady who has a very successful organic veg garden and I think she's good cos she usually asks the questions we want answering  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Shallot

• Not So New ...
  • Solstice at Stonehenge
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 19:55:58 »
My dad used to use old toilet rolls or kitchen roll tubes. I tried it myself last year and it seemed to work well, plus the tubes gradually rotted away- providing compost.  :D
The Cup is half full!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 22:05:28 »
I think the whole of last night's prog was dedicated to veggies - which makes a change.  I enjoyed it especially as there was a chap from Chesterfield on  ;D
The presenter is a lady who has a very successful organic veg garden and I think she's good cos she usually asks the questions we want answering  :)

I just watched that - good old time shifting box... think I might keep this particular programme!  I like Sarah Raven - read the other week that she's actually Dr Raven and a former GP!

I have inch-wide leeks already - I love the Verina variety because it's so early yet stands to April (then bolts for the sky!).  I am tempted to get pipe lagging to see if I can increase the white bit ! Knowing my luck it'll just provide a cosy home for slugs...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal