Author Topic: Potato "Winston" - and friends  (Read 1617 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Potato "Winston" - and friends
« on: August 01, 2005, 13:15:10 »
My second earlies this year were "Winston".

A few of them got nibbled by rattus norwegicus (sounds like a character out of "Gladiator" - or the "Life of Brian"), but these particular spuds were decimated by sluggus maximus disatrous!

I've had Jersey Royals and maincrop "Cara" either side of them, and they have got by with barely a nibble from slugs (although Cara has suffered a bit from the rats).

Anyone else growing Winston & suffered the same slug problem?
Anyone recommend a slug-proof 2nd early?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Potato "Winston" - and friends
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 21:12:31 »
Never grown Winston but I always find that red ones like Red Duke of York get attacked less by slugs.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 22:11:41 »
Kestrel are probably one of the most slug resistant second earlies.  I also got good results with the pink Celine.  But there`s no such animal as a completely slug resistant potato.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 13:22:48 »
Thanks for the advice - the common theme seems to be the red/pink shade of spud.  My maincrop "Cara" that seem relatively immune to slugs are dappled pink similar to King Edwards.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal