Author Topic: What is the best variaty of tomatoe to grow?  (Read 6269 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
What is the best variaty of tomatoe to grow?
« on: July 29, 2005, 17:06:03 »
I am thinking of trying a different variety of tomato next year. I would like to know what variety gives the bigest truss and the most tomatoes with a good flavour.

Indoor and outdoor variates
Be kind to slugs and snails!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: What is the best variaty of tomatoe to grow?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 17:15:21 »
Which of the 300 opinions will you take?? And standard, beef, cherry or plum? Each with a different use.

(See Growing under Glass 'yippee')
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 17:28:10 by tim »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 17:30:57 »
The best tomato I ever tasted came with a salad in McDonalds!  It was a cherry type and was delish.  Pity they didn't have a clue what it was. Tt!

I came, I saw, I composted

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 17:38:38 »
Ok let me clarify my question a little better. I am looking for a greenhouse type of tomatoe, cordon variety standard type. Not cherry or plum but the standard type of tomatoe.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 17:55:33 »
Clear!!

One of the well-used ones is Shirley. Especially large bottom truss & good all-rounder. Cavendish is prolific. Harbinger is HDRA's choice.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 19:16:18 »
The best tomato I ever tasted came with a salad in McDonalds!  It was a cherry type and was delish.  Pity they didn't have a clue what it was. Tt!

Are you sure it was a real tomato?  Knowing McD's it was genetically modified and contained fish genes.  It was then irradiated six times before being packaged in a sterile environment.  And before all that, they probably had to cut down virgin rainforest to grow it.

Yes I do have a big downer with McDonalds.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 20:05:31 »
I have only started this year so grew what I got from others. however i tasted the best cherry tomato I have ever come across last week. it is a yellow/orange cherry and it is called sungold. It was beautifully sweet. i know it's one i'm growing next year.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 20:33:18 »
Yes. But SexyS doesn't want Cherries!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 22:48:27 »
Hi,
Mine are outdoor toms and my fav for cropping is Moneymaker I hear the others say oh no but its not let me down and crops well. Trying Roma and Gardeners Delight as well as a basket tom not Tiny Tim forgoten the name.
Do think its what you feed them on me its fish poo water and comphrey going organic its cheeper if you have these to hand.

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 22:54:20 »
Yes. But SexyS doesn't want Cherries!

just noticed that on second reading of this whole thread. OOoops :)

linesman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 23:25:34 »
I'm finding ALICANTE is a very good cropper for me this year every truss has loads of toms

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 01:13:47 »
Thanks for the reply tim and everone else I will be taking you advice and be trying those next year! I like to try something different every now and again. My theory is if you do not try you do not know. So lets have a go!

I remember trying the plum variety and got about 24 small dry tomatoes. So will not be trying them again in the near future.

Again thanks for the reply's

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 06:38:31 »
I have tried Craigella this year and the taste is very bland and disappointing. Won't bother again.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 08:08:27 »
I'm growing sungella outdoors, and it's supposed to be a large mid-size version of sungold though not quite full size. Certainly looks ok so far, and it's cordon and can be grown indoors too.

Will comment further when one deigns to ripen and I can test it!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 17:01:37 »
SexyS - I've now given Nectar long enough to comment on it. RHS gave it good marks in their trial & it is certainly one that I shall grow again. 1" fruit, so almost a 'standard', a substantial flavour & good trusses - shown again here.

Don't be put off all plums by a bad year. I know they're only cherry size, but Santa have an intense flavour - they're in the s/markets now - they have a dense flesh, great in rice dishes, casseroles, & they freeze well. The childrens' favourite, which we have grown for 5-6 years now.

PS later - & of course, certainly for us, cherries are weeks earlier.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 09:12:21 by tim »

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 18:53:26 »
Well, like Wardy, the tastiest tomato I have ever eaten came from Sainsbury's earler this year, (against everything I thought  previously). It was  a Sicilian variety called (appropriately) Delizia and was indeed absolutely delicious.
I tried googling it and have found the variety in ecipes and restaurant sites, but no seeds can i find for sale. A friend of mine, recently back from Brindisi told me about this tasty tomato she bought in a market there andit sounds like the same one. Coincidence or what?
It's a marmande type , yellow/red ridged.
In Sainsbury's it was bl***y expensive so I'm now on a mission to find some for next year. Any ideas anyone?
Terri

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 19:47:20 »
I'm by no means a tomato success story, but, like linesman, I'm having great results with Alicante...

I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 19:49:56 »
:(I grew Sungella last year and will not grow it again as it is much overhyped. It has several problems which do not seem to affect its parents(sungold and tangella) to the same degree. I was growing all three varieties in the same conditions, and could directly compare them. Sungella is not as tasty as its parents and is rather prone to blight.
At the moment, my favourite tomato is Sungold, which has just the correct balance of sweetness and acidity.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 22:28:34 »
The first 'cherry' I have tasted this year is a yellow called 'Peacevine' and it is devine!  Sweet, thin skinned, but thick enough for that texture of tomatos that I like.  Stood in the greenhouse chatting to daughter number one....and I ate all 5 that were ripe! 

fraser

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 08:49:26 »
I've grown marglobe this year. Have cropped a dozen so far the largest being 6oz. Lovely fleshy tromato with a flavour to match.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal