Author Topic: Courgette Bread  (Read 7502 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Courgette Bread
« on: July 29, 2005, 16:20:23 »
One of my favourite ways of dealing with the glut.

But why do I always forget to wait a while for the water to amalgamate before I add more & get a sticky mess that flows over the side of the tin as it rises??
Less than a cup is needed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/crownbread.jpg

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Courgette Bread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 16:39:40 »
tell me, is this from rosie whathername's vegetarian cookbook, by chance?

looks delish :) i am inspired to bake this weekend - hugh fearlessly-eatsitall has a receipe for lavendar short bread that i have promised the OH
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 17:36:52 »
It looks like everyone on this forum will be mostly eating courgettes this weekend  :o

I have picked bag fulls today, most of them too big but never mind  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 18:04:22 »
Svea - you mean Roz Denny? If so, yes.
Lavender? I'll stick with Rosemary. Too unadventuurous.

wardy - young marrows are lovely too!!

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 18:17:48 »
Give it a try - I would. :D
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 22:11:00 »
nope tim, rose elliot

but good receipe, will try out this w/e :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 23:12:47 »
Super, have yeast, have strong flour, have cheese...now do I have any courgettes?  :P

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 10:58:20 »
Tim      glad the big uns will be just as good.  Oh deep joy  ;D  EJ   Let us know how the bread turns out.  I have approximately 15 courgettes on stock today and no guests to palm them off to. I put them in the sausage casserole last night (no, not all of em) and my old man (courgette hater who's been away all week) was pleased to see it was courgette with everything as usual  ;D  It was like he'd never been away  :)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 10:40:54 »
absolutely gorgeous bread, tim - had it last night together with a 'broth' of tomatoes, onions, french beans and broccoli (only small amounts picked so no point cooking on its own).
yummy summer supper :)

PS: the lavendar short bread is divine. standard shortbread receipe, add two teaspoons of fresh lavendar flowers. the flavour is very subtle yet clearly there. super yum! will have to do that again. and so easy :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 10:43:10 by Svea »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 10:45:59 »
Good dunking stuff!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 23:29:09 »
Just wanted to say, I made this last night, almost exactly to the recipe but I didn't have any parmesan, so used very strong cheddar, and I didn't have the sesame seeds for the top, so went without.  Made it like the piccy, a tray full of rolls all adjoining and looking very rustic.  Took it to mums today for supper with good smokey ham and cheese, and it was absolutely amazingly DELICIOUS!  Soft, bouncy, tasty, not chewy or cakey.  A wonderfully light, moist, yummy bread!  We were expecting it to be heavy due to the courgettes, but we were very very pleasantly suprised!  Plan to make lots and freeze them before the courgette rush comes to an end!  Thanks Tim!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 08:18:05 »
I had to borrow the seeds from 'next door'. And most of them then fall off!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 08:46:10 »
I  also made this a couple of days ago, and it gets a huge thumbs up from the Pinks family! I threw in some fresh herbs as well, it was delish! Thank you Tim.  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:22:14 »
I'm going to make some to disguise the courgettes so my old man won't know it's courgettes again.  Courgettes last night in sausy casserole but I cut em up small so he might not notice em  :)  We are mostly eating sausages at the mo as no guests in and I had quite a few to get through  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 18:44:11 »
Wardy, I really couldn't tell there were courgies in there other than the little strips of green and yellow from the skins. (I shredded mine on my mandolin rather than grated)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 19:15:46 »
d**n.  Bought a mandolin last year and then forgot about it.  Grated my knuckles along with the courgettes making this bread this pm. >:(  Had the sesame seeds in but misread the recipe and added 60g rather than 60ml of cheese so will be rather cheesy.  Waiting for OH to get back from work to taste but it certainly smells deelish.  Thanks Tim! :-*

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 20:59:21 »
Jill   that looks fab.  Good old Tim - a winner this one surely.  EJ  gotcha -mandolin not grater.  My old ma (no longer with us) who's flat I'm still sorting out is full of marvellous cooking utensils and bless her she has a mandolin!  She has some fab scales and electric mixers etc.  I was making some bread t'other week and used her mixing  bowl and scales etc.  I kept thinking good old ma and now I find a mandolin  :) :)   So have mandolin.  Do I have any courgettes?  Now let me think  ;D ;D

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 08:49:33 »
Where can I find the recipe for this bread please?  :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 09:00:27 »
that bread looks delicious Jill :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 09:44:06 »
Gardenqueen, click the link in Tim's post at the top for the thread - it really is yummy.  I'd only had one small piece before OH and the boys hoovered it all up.  Now been told to make more so off to pick more courgettes.  Thanks again Tim!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal