Author Topic: Veggie Plug Plants  (Read 6048 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Veggie Plug Plants
« on: July 29, 2005, 11:38:56 »
I've just ordered a veggie plug plant collection as I know I'm not going to get time to get stuff going from seed.  I've ordered the brassica collection from Dobies which has cabbages, caulis and brocs in it.  5 different veggies with 10 plants of each = 50 plants for 17.5 p (£8.75) delivered.  I think that's good value  :)

Must try and find time to get on the plot to make some space.  I hope I haven't got to dig.  I've avoided it so far.  Where's me bulb planter  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Veggie Plug Plants
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 11:59:51 »
I often fall back on them - but they are sometimes in 15s which is really too many. Otherwise excellent.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 12:25:38 »
Wardy - I've just planted a selection of brassica plug plants on my plot.  As we are soooo far behind after only getting plot end of May, I've done the plant through cardboard and black plastic trick with the brassicas.  Not sure how they'll cope but I know they don't like dug ground so maybe.....  ???

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 12:30:50 »
Yesterday I received the brassica collection I ordered that was on Special Offer from the Fruit & vegetable Company in (last months? the month before's?) Kitchen Garden Magazine.

A bit odd receiving plants through the post, but the plugs all look in good condition, and will hopefulyl stay that way with a bit of TLC until Sunday when I can get on the plot (off to watch the Twenty20 Cricket finals tomorrow).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 12:36:22 »
Snap Wardy!  ;D  Well, I had to order my onions and garlic so I thought, why not??!!  ;D

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 16:19:15 »
I ordered the Dobies collection yesterday too....I will finally get the key to my lottie on Sunday, and need to start digging beds frantically before they arrive ;)  Fortunatey the plot I'm getting is in good condition, only has grass over it...I think....

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 08:14:03 »
This looks good - thanks for the tip! I am still not sure as to what I'm growing in one of my brassica beds (chap who donatedseedlings thought sprouting broc, calabrese or cauli!) so it would be nice to know for sure.

Only where can I put 50 overwintering brassicas... argh this means I have to consult the rotation plan and start on next year's... :o

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 08:32:47 »
Bonfire, Wardy? Daughter next door had a newly turfed lawn this year. Great - like a billiard table - except that, in the middle, there is a large patch of longer, darker grass where they had their bonfire site!!

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 14:39:46 »
  As we are soooo far behind after only getting plot end of May, I've done the plant through cardboard and black plastic trick with the brassicas. 

What's this trick of which you speak? sounds like some kind of alchemy!

I was told by the lovely folk in our allotment shop today that we were too late to plant caulis so if there is some kind of trick to help them on..well I'd be chuffed if you'd share. We've got a dozen or so little plants ready to go in. Oh and I should add we are in Eastbourne, I don't know if being so far south make any difference.

Ta.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 16:57:20 »
yes, i suppose ity is easier, just think youre a bit restricted. i grow nearly all my seeds as plugs first. ad they tend to look after themselves in the trays once thinned, as soon as the roots are throughh the holes at the bttom, they go into the ground :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 21:26:08 »
Loob       Did you a long rambling reply and it disappeared into the ether.  It keeps happening and it's driving me mad  >:(   Rant over  :)   

You CAN still plant caulis  :)  I have just ordered mine from Dobies so one assumes it's ok.  Well I do and I know other plotties near me are planting em so I'd advise you to get planting too  :)

Wardy ::) I keep telling peeps, if you are doing long rambling replies, do it in "Word" first, your advise is too precious to lose and I mean that most sincerely :)

So glad to hear we can still plant out Caulis as I have a boat load of them about 10" tall as I am still battling with the weeds to find a space for them. >:( ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 22:05:41 »
A plant and seed company - operated by mail order for years.  My Dad always had/has Dobies catalogues.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 22:56:46 »
I saw that Dobies offer as well and have been thinking about getting the plugs, since I've discovered a bit of space! However today I've just weeded, hoed and kind of 'prepared' the ground.
Can anyone expand on the undug/hard ground info?

Have I just scuppered my chances?  :'(
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 10:30:55 »
We all have that problem, Wardy - or at least I constantly do. Another favourite of mine is to touch some key by mistake & it all disappears. Don't know which key!

And when you want to check something on Google - or whatever - your message has gone when you return.

Before I do anything these days, I always save to a note or notepad. Or, as Roy says, sometimes to Word.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 17:35:09 »
 ;D ;D ;D
I ordered the brassica collection from Dobies too......feeling all smug now cos all you experienced peeps are doing the same thing :D Lol
If I can be brave enough..ANYONE can do it!! 8)

anneski

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 17:51:18 »
I took on two smallish allotments and ordered 250  :o :o mixed brassicas from a chap on eBay for 11 quid plus 7:50 next day delivery option.  I took the advice from the lovely peeps on here to get something in to look at, rather than risk getting depressed trying to get two lotties weed free - seems to be working so far, they're all doing pretty well really!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 22:45:17 »
250 mixed brassicas!  Wow you must like cabbage!!  ;D  All round to yours for some bubble and squeek!  ;D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 23:21:17 »
ok, shamelessly copying you lot i've ordered the pack from dobies. (got carried away and ordered second crop spuds too) ::)
while i await delivery, is there anything i should be doing to the soil?
and are cauliflowers as temperamental as the books say?
any tips gratefully received as i've never grown brassicas before!
thanks, Tara xx

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 23:39:33 »
ok, shamelessly copying you lot i've ordered the pack from dobies. (got carried away and ordered second crop spuds too) ::)
while i await delivery, is there anything i should be doing to the soil?
and are cauliflowers as temperamental as the books say?
any tips gratefully received as i've never grown brassicas before!
thanks, Tara xx

Caulis are gits. First time I tried I'd had the lottie about 4 weeks. Bought some plugs and planted them, got fantastic little caulis. Decided they were a bit steep for only 6 so next year got seeds, got nice little plants, put them out, cossetted them making sure they didn't dry out, the whole blinking lot buttoned (grew 1" heads which then flowered). Bah.

This year I am not deliberately growing caulis, though I may be accidentally growing them  :o :o. One of the chaps at the lotties gave me a tray of what he thought were purple sprouting broccoli as mine had failed to grow, and then after a couple of weeks he looked at them and mentioned he might have given me caulis instead  ::) ::) - and looking at them yesterday, I think he's right! There are leaves growing very tightly over the centre which looks like it might be heading at some point in the next month or two!

ooooops! And there are 15 of them... heaven help me if I have to eat 15 caulis, or should that be heaven help my work colleagues!!!!  ;D ;D

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 00:19:52 »
My caulis grow, then either button, or go right odd!  And they are always dirty and grubby looking.  What I need is a materclass of successful cauliflower growing....in fact, I think I am going to post just that!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal