Author Topic: Snow Sunday/Monday!! (possibly)  (Read 3946 times)

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
Snow Sunday/Monday!! (possibly)
« on: December 18, 2003, 14:21:50 »
Met office issued a warning:

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/warnings.html

UK severe weather warnings  

REGIONAL SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS

These warnings are issued when severe weather is expected to cause disruption to traffic etc. over the next few hours. See the guide below for more details.

Current warnings:

No severe weather is expected in the next few hours.

UK ADVANCE WEATHER WARNINGS

These warnings are issued when severe weather is expected to cause widespread disruption to traffic etc. over the next 12 to 48 hours. See the guide below for more details.

Current warnings:

ADVANCE WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Northern Scotland, Eastern Scotland, South West Scotland, North West England, North East England, The Midlands, South East England and East Anglia AND Lincolnshire.
Issued by the Met Office at 11:11 on Thursday, 18 December 2003.
This warning is an update to that issued at 10:21 on Wednesday 17 December

The Met Office are expecting a low pressure system to move south- east across Scotland on Saturday night followed by strong north to north-easterly winds on Sunday and at first on Monday, when snow showers will become frequent and blustery over northern and then eastern counties of Scotland and England. There is still a good deal of doubt about the severity of the weather, but there is the potential on Sunday and into on Monday for heavy snow showers to be driven well inland from the east coast on gale force winds. Several cm of snow is possible locally with some drifting, which could lead to disruption For inquires regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.
Transmitted by the Met Office. at 11:11 on Thursday 18 December

to transport.

Might be interesting............. :P

might not take the motorbike to work on monday........ ::)

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: Snow Sunday/Monday!! (possibly)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 16:00:33 »
oh joy. i can't stand snow - i grew up in the fens, put me on a slight slope in the snow and i fall straight over!!

hope its cleared by monday night, we're driving through the night down to heathrow...

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
aboutRe: Snow Sunday/Monday!! (possibly)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 17:07:28 »
Yes,no doubt we will get the usual gridlock on the roads,people stuck in cars,power cuts etc.And that's just one days worth.Do you recall the carry on back in January? I have good reason to remember.My gas central heating packed up on the Monday night and I was just preventing hypothermia in the house!! with electric radiators,fan heaters etc.Just got a new part sorted to be fitted on the Friday,then Thursday the power went off while i was at work so I came home to a pitch black,freezing cold house.Hubby took 3 hours to get home,and I remember putting batteries in the radio,getting under the quilt and lying there for what seemed an eternity till he came home.No hot drinks,food and worse of all,a rapidly cooling down tropical fish tank!!. :'( >:(

Luckily the neighbour supplied us with hot water from a gas stove and just as hubby thought he was getting a hot cup of tea after 3 hours crawling homeat about 2 miles an hour,I poured it into the fish tank. :P :P Well the language that followed certainly heated up the temperature!!But we soon got a drink and then went out again to find the fish and chip shop/cafe open.We sat in there for 2 hours,warming up,eating and drinking,till they threw us out at closing time!! then home to cadge some more hot water.Then bed to keep warm. :-*

Luckily we did get the power back on through the night,and the heating was fixed next day.The fish survived too. But never again!!  The sheer mention of heavy snow brings on a cold sweat now!! :o

Any more horror stories,folks?  :-/
Margaret

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 17:13:25 »
Hi Ava

Do you happen to live in the South ??   ;)  

.......from a stoical Northerner!!   ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 17:30:55 »
Yup.......but not too much of a southern softie....

.....last year when those snows fell I was on my way home from work on the motorbike......stuck in a traffic jam and the snow just grew in depth around me.......

....ended up motorcycling with both feet on the ground as stabilisers......only thing is they also acted like snowploughs........

.......left the bike at my parents 1/2 way home and borrowed their car......

....then took another 3 hours to do less than 10 miles as lorries and inexperienced drivers tried to do all sorts of things that defied sense and the laws of gravity.......

....if only people would think logically about their actions...oh well.....
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 17:32:24 »
we had 3 weeks last november with no hot water or heating cos we had a man round to fix the boiler and 3 hours after he left, in a room filled with gas, transco condemned it! so cold, in the end we had to borrow some cash to get it fixed cos the house was getting damp, i have never been so miserable in my life.

and that january snow, we had buses sliding down westgate road outside the general hospital and an accident on every road out of the city! took rick 4 hours to get a few miles from wallsend to cullercoats!

when i was little and it snowed hard, all tof us kids from the market garden cooperative we lived on had to be taken to school in a trailer behind a tractor! ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 18:56:08 »
I love the snow especially at xmas,how else will Father Christmas get here with his Reindeer and sleigh.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 19:38:12 »
ahhh snow, i love it!! can hardly wait.
last year, walking into town on christmas eve, it was snowing - everyone was grinning from ear to ear and snowballs were flying between kids and adults, cars and bikes - it was magical.
cheers suzy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 20:05:52 »
Let it snow, let it snow let it snow!! having lived in tropical climes for 13 years. We still think it is magical......untill of course we have to go anywhere!! The whole of the kids in the street love to have snowball fights with us!! Great fun, plus I love to light my log fire and snuggle down in the warmth!  ;D (sorry Margaret!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 20:16:32 »
Not Southwest England then? How could it affect everywhere else in England and not the Southwest? ???

jethro

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 13:14:52 »
Well as you know i'm an upstanding staid gentleman all the year, but when the snow comes well that's it, I turn into a devil. I wait behind the hedge till some unsuspecting kids come along then i pelt them with snowballs  ;D, they usually get their friends to help so it's world war 3. The wife goes mad as the garden looks like the Somme but what the hell i enjoy it (mad old fool that i am). Their neighbours stand at their doors howling with laughter as i usually end up under 10 ton of snow, red as a berry and freezing cold.  ;D ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 13:22:05 »
You are not alone Jethro!!! We do the same  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 14:04:57 »
I hope it snows just for Christmas time - sorry you drivers, and wouldn't like anybody to have an accident becauseof icy roads, but I love the snow!  Still dreaming of a White Christmas!   ;D  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 16:18:48 »
Phobic about snow..so I'm going to skip all the posts & just thank Ava for the warning. Mild here today & have gone out to stock up on essentials...come clanking home from the offie, then ;D

Why else do you think I'm b***ering off Jan-March? Just knew I should have gone in December :'( - Lish

Dottie - living in central Italy on the coast for all those years was great!! In 15 yrs remember 3 freak snow/hail storms? 2 of those, my son was around - we'd scoop it up from the terraces, store it in the fridge & he'd invite his friends around to play with it in the bidet...and you thought it was just for soaking socks? ;D

Snow like that, I can just about hack.Lish

Suze_O

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 18:17:17 »
I don't like snow unless it arrives on a Saturday evening and is gone by Monday morning!

But I must admit our local council are brilliant when it comes to gritting and getting the snowploughs out when necessary.

Glad you have your priorities right re stocking up on essentials Lishka, never mind the baked beans, get the booze in  :D  (Al,though in your case perhaps baked beans are not a good idea ......... ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2003, 20:04:52 »
Huh thats if we even get any.

When we do it puts the council into shock. Often stunned into inactivity for about a day.

We used to live by a main highway road, but one year we were snowed in, not because they didnt clear the road, but because the snow they cleared from the road was piled up across our entrance, we couldnt move! I had to miss a couple of days school because of it, but when I got back my form teache couldnt believe, why living by a main road, i couldnt get in. ???

Crazy or what

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2003, 12:19:05 »
well we had very icy snow last night, none on the ground though. just nipping down to check the plot before the snow tries it on again!

last visit until next year  :(

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2003, 12:49:27 »
Could just about cope with the sort of snow legless got - lots on the roofs and  chimbleys and praps a silver sprinkling on the trees, praps, but please, please, please,please ..none on the pavements and roads?

Yep!...hang on, tho...what about the little birds - wouldn't they get cold in bed..just the roofs and chimbleys, then..

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2003, 19:42:15 »
My birds just love the snow they all but roll in it believe it or not.You'ed think that originating in Australia they would hate it.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal