Author Topic: DIY plant pots  (Read 1362 times)

KeithR

• Not So New ...
DIY plant pots
« on: April 21, 2006, 20:02:03 »
I thought I would share this, though I strongly suspect that many of you do something similar.
I was having great difficulty in getting long, thin plant pots for starting runner beans or potting on stuff like brassicas etc I remember hearing about rolled up newspaper so I got an old sunday mail from my in-laws (we haven't got the time for a paper yet as we aren't retired - is that contentious or what) and then proceed to wrap it around various tubes. In the end I found that the best way was to cut the pages in half along the natural fold, then fold these in half and wrap them around the tube from the inside of a kitchen towel. At that point I was all for glueing the paper together but my wife pointed out that all I needed to do was tuck the excess into the bottom of the tube, slide the finished article off and it would be self supporting and Eco-friendly. ( I am not going to say anything about why I didn't think of that)
Anyway they work a treat, stuff sprouting already. You do need a higher sided tray to hold them in as the get a bit soggy.
Hope this is useful and if there are any other useful and very cheap ideas maybe we could start a list.

Happy planting

KeithR

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: DIY plant pots
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 21:22:49 »
Good idea; I may try this soon

mat

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 21:52:16 »
I shall have a bash tomorrow whilst it is my turn not to drive to our holiday destination. I needed some desperately today but had no time to make any and ended up SPENDING MONEY!!
Glad you posted this, Keith.I shall go and prepare.................... ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 16:36:33 »
You should find some other ideas on the 'Making things out of other things' pages on the wiki Keith.

All the best
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 17:39:05 »
You're right, this and similar methods have been described on here many times before.
I personally use a piece of 50mm waste pipe, it's a bit more robust than a cardboard tube, you can even put depth markings on it if you want to get real flashy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal