Author Topic: How to say thank you?  (Read 1726 times)

Dominique

• Not So New ...
How to say thank you?
« on: July 28, 2005, 20:17:28 »
Since we started the new 'lottie' people have been soooooo nice.  It all started in February when I was given crowns of rhubarb (I remember looking at that sea of couch grass thinking "Err.. And where do I put it?" Then new runner beans when mine got the frost, lettuce thinnings etc etc...  Now I have my first crops I have offered some as thank yous of course, but everyone 's got their own....  The only people who accepted my offerings of shallots/garlic were my neighbours who had neglected their plot and had nothing on it.
So...  How do I thank everyone else?  What do you more experienced people do?
D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: How to say thank you?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 20:53:43 »
I have just done as you and said thanks - like you offerings were not needed.  THe time will come though and then you can return the favour......will be interested to see  others comments though
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 21:39:28 »
All our lottie neighbours are lovely, so helpful. When we get out plot sorted we are going to have a thank you barbecue (might be next summer lol) with lots of food and drink!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 21:43:34 »
There's no point in me offering my kind allotment neighbours any sort of veg because they grow theirs so much better than me anyway. The only veg I was able to offer my neighbour was lettuce, mine were ready a few weeks before his so it was nice to have something to offer in return for all the help and free veg that was offered to me when I first started. I've been able to give away other things though that my neighbours don't make/have themselves: homemade soap, fresh eggs and homemade jams and chutneys (always nice to try someone elses recipe even if you make your own). I'm working on making some extra cheeses and got my first batch of wine on the brew so there might be some extra things to trade with in the future :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 21:47:34 »
I'm so polite I accept anything that anyone offers me as I think it might offend if I refuse and I've had some lovely things given to me as well as some not so good but it's all offered in the true spirit of lottying so I accept with gratitude  :)   Barbecue is a lovely idea and I think would be well received.   I went to my plot on Nov 5th as I thought I could get away with having a bit of a bonfire.  When I got there there allotments were packed with folks having bonfire parties  ;D  It was a lovely atmos and totally unexpected.  So that might be a good date for you to aim for  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 09:33:22 »
i have given lottie neighbours things to try that they dont have themselves. this year's success is kohlrabi. they all love it so much that i expect every lottie holder to grow rows of the stuff next year ;D

then i have been asked to relieve people of their courgettes as they couldnt stand the sight of them anymore - my courgettes are still not producing well at all.
maybe just as well ;)

it's all swings and roundabouts - keep the spirit going. offer to help dig the old guy's plot if he isnt that fit. look after someone's plot when they are away on holiday for a week.
it's not just produce it's about :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 09:42:53 »
At my allotments it is so much a case of share . . .
We all help each other in different ways, no one is measuring. I give stuff that others struggle with, and vice versa. Then we all muck in together on the heavy stuff like boundary fencing etc. This attitude seems to be accepted and makes for a lovely atmosphere.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 12:48:22 »
Ours is only a small site and advice and goodies are always available.  A new fella has just given me a load of netting that he didn't need as he has replaced it with a posher variety, also he told me to help myself to his raspberries.....then another old fella gave me 2 lovely spring cabbages, just in time to take to mums when we had my nan over......and old Jack, love 'im, we kinda look after eachother, water for each other and keep and eye on things, and the bonus for me is, when he goes on his hols, I have to force myself  ;) to pick his raspberries!  I water for people if they need it, I set the birds free from the netting - a constant job at the moment, I always have 2 cups on my flask so I can offer a cuppa and I always offer things to people (altho no one wants a flipping courgette!)  ;D  It may seem like you are being given a lot at the moment, but as time wanders on, you won't be the newbie any longer, and others will come, and you will find you will be giving them things, and you will be helping others out, and passing on your gluts.......swings and roundabouts.....what comes around goes around.......too many cooks.... ??? hehehe

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 14:31:55 »
no-one wants a courgette  :o   

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 15:15:48 »
Honestly Wardy, people are avoiding me, and I am freshly bathed so I don't think I smell!  I fear it is courgette overdose!  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 20:50:04 »
Look on the bright side.  wifey went to lottie today for some fruit and came back with a  pressie from my neighbouring lottie holder - a marrow!!!  lol

Might have to extend the hosue at this rate.....
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 22:38:23 »
I walked off the plot today and up the road and spied in the hedge bottom a large marrow  ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal