Author Topic: Gimme some help guys - please!  (Read 4394 times)

kelso

• Quarter Acre
Gimme some help guys - please!
« on: July 27, 2005, 20:24:53 »
I'm on the waiting list for my lottie, which may take 1,000,000 years. As I don't know what time of year I'll get it, or what it will look like, can anyone suggest the best growing / allotment books or magazines, for the complete allotmemt virgin. ;)

Ta very much for your millions of replies yet to come guys ;)

Miers
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Gimme some help guys - please!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 20:41:50 »
I have just got myself a copy of Joy Larkcom Grow your own veg book. Has been in print since before I was born and is on its 3/4th rewrite, so I guess she must know her stuff!

It is a very convenient size too (normal novel size) rather than the big heavy hard back books you often see.

Is only about £7.99 on amazon too, which is refreshing for a gardening book - they do tend to be pricey!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 09:25:26 by daisymay »

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 20:46:34 »
I read David Squire VEGETABLES found it very good for the beginner.

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 20:57:07 »
Thankyou so much, this is being stored as we speak. I don't really want hundreds (because I haven't got the money). So if I get alot more, I may start a pole to find the best. The winner gets to spend the weekend with me (on the allotment of course!). :o

Miers
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 20:57:43 »
The Dr Hessayon - Vegetable Expert book is very good for a starting out book and my garden centre sells a pocket size version as well which is very handy, it's kept in my shed at the allotment. I would also recommend the Kitchen Garden magazine, very good for ideas. But most importantly is this website, it's brilliant! :D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 21:10:24 »
Sorry I've never heard of Dr Hessayon (can you tell me more please?). So if you had to get rid of all but one or two which would be left? :)

Miers

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 21:22:57 »
I found "Organic Gardening" by Christine and Michael Lavelle an easy read and very well illustrated, it was marked at £16.99 and went for £4.99 in WH Smiths Sale. a while back 8)

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 21:36:43 »
The vegetable & herb expert pretty good and so is the fruit expert. Together they are a handy factual reference and I refer to them often.

The Complete Book of Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit: The Definitive Sourcebook for Growing, Harvesting and Cooking. For almost every conceivable edible & medicinal vegetable, herb, fruit, nut, fungi you get a couple of pages packed with information. It has history, propegation, cultivation, companion planting, varieties, culinary use, medicinal use, a recipe and more besides. At the back it has some garden layouts, crop rotations, month by month gardening calendar. I love this book it's great source of inspiration in my pre allotment waiting list days.

I couldn't stand the wait and got started in my front garden with the help of crazy Mels square foot gardening book. It made me think what in the heck am I waiting for so I just started a 4x4 box like he said. I've got more my own ideas now but 10 out of 10 for a get up and go book.

The seed catalogues from DT Browns, The Organic Catalogue and others are nice to read. Pictures and descriptions for all the different varietes.

If you're not already composting all your kitchen waste you can start now. It'll be good stuff when you get your allotment.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 21:40:25 by Ed^Chigliak »

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 22:19:50 »
the one i could not do without, and that has given me all my (theoretical) knowledge ;) is joy larkcom's grow your own veg.
even the good doctor pales into second place.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

AppleCrumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 22:34:48 »
hi Miers i am a new lottie holder my self and have just ordered joy larkcom;s grow your own veg from wh smiths on line if you can pick it up from the store its only £6:09 i also bought the allotment hand book by caroline foley from there shop yesterday i have only read a little bit but it looks exellent hope this helps

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:49:08 »
I use the Dr Hessayon Vegtable Expert book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0903505460/qid=1122536788/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_18_1/026-0912551-9547626

was £6 from the allotment shop and gives you a lot of information.Does mention chemical use for a lot of pests but I ignore that.Really good info on sowing time,planting out times and harvest times.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 09:28:54 »
I've lent 'HDRA: Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening' from the library for a couple of months now, it is great. I've had a couple of other good books from the library too - try before you buy
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:29:26 »
I usually just have a go with growing things and only look at my books when stuff goes wrong! And I've definitely learnt more from A4A than all my books put together...so you can save a heap of cash just looking around here.

I think whoever said 1 hour's practical experience is worth a 1000 hours' reading was right...Buying books is sometimes just a substitute for doing.

Hope you get your plot soon.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:31:52 »
Hi Miers,
I hope you don't have to wait too long for a plot!

I have "Organic Gardening" by Christine and Michael Lavelle, "Grow your Own" by J Larkcom and "Veg Expert" from Dr Hessayon.

All very different and I do refer to them all at times.

I picked up Veg Expert for £0.99 + £2.00 PP on Ebay.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:42:31 »
Joy Larkcom is the best by far of all I have read.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:37 »
I really like the HDRA big book (mentioned on here previously)  It's quite a big book so one to read while eating your dinner as you can spread it out on the table in front of you.  Mine's now got some interesting stains on it  ;D    It's helped me a lot as a newbie.

I don't think books are a substitute for "doing".  I like to read up on things beforehand, for example instructions for flat pack furniture  ;D    Who'd tackle that without reading the instructions hm?  ;D    ;D

I've just bought the Joy Larkom veg book for my bro's birthday so I hope he hurries up and reads it as I want to borrow it  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 11:15:09 »
The other beauty of books is that you can while away the rainy spells in the greenhouse.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 17:19:50 »
I don't think books are a substitute for "doing".  I like to read up on things beforehand, for example instructions for flat pack furniture. Who'd tackle that without reading the instructions hm? 

Errm... Me! Every time. Must be impetuous by nature, I suppose...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

kelso

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 17:22:06 »
I was joking about the poll :o I've got almost as many different books as replies. ;D
Now who's going to suggest one or two to start with (I've got to keep some money back for tools, seeds etc you know) ;D

Reading again it looks like Dr Hessayon from the number of times mentioned - any advances on that? ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 17:26:58 by Miers »

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 17:33:03 »
Hi Miers

I'm a newbie and have found both Dr Hessayon and Joy Larkham's Grow your own helpful.  However, think Dr Hessayon can be a bit heavy handed on the chemical front and as I'm trying to be organic where possible have found some of his advice not suitable.  Its good for quick reference on particular vegs.  I've found Joy Larkham's more comprehensive - talks about soil preparation, different growing methods, watering, crop rotation (in much more depth than Dr H) - most things you'll need to know about, as well as giving info on individual vegetables (no pics though).

If I had to only buy one, it would be Joy Larkham - more info for your money.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal