Author Topic: Glads  (Read 5199 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Glads
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:51:49 »
I have a good dozen glads growing nicely in the back garden, but not a flower bud in sight!  What could be the problem?  Thinking of digging them up in the autumn and dumping them in the ground in a corner on the allotment!  They are in sun 75% of the day.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Glads
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 13:02:33 »
Mine are only just now starting to flower.

The ones I grew in pots last year never flowered and I suspect they are doing the same again this year. (must put them in the ground instead).

I remember last year that some of the ones in the ground seemed like they were never going to flower, but then did much later than the others. Maybe wait a while longer?
gone to pot :D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 14:04:39 »
We have one set which does not look as if it is going to flower, but I am almost certain that they have been attacked by thrips and that almost always stops them flowering.
Gardening is the great leveller.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 20:12:36 »
I've been addicted to Gladioli ever since I got given some, and grow them every year on the allotment, rows of them. I plant them out at the same time or maybe the week before I plant out my sweetcorn, so must be early to mid May, and they are just starting to come into flower. I put them in about 4 to 6 inches deep, and the soil is quite heavy clay. I don't feed, water, or anything.
Hope this helps.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 17:15:15 »
I'm with you on this one EJ.  I've got the best crop of green straps and not a flower bud in sight. >:(

I have a feeling that mine had too much lush living and not enough heat.

Next year I will try them either next to the south facing wall or into the front garden that get totally baked!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 21:07:07 »
Me too! ours have not flowered at all either, are in full sun. Only planted them this year, so I thought maybe they took a while to get established. I have been watering mine as they are kind of in with my veggies, so maybe I have also been treating them too nice.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 21:46:07 »
Hi Emma, i have one beauty in flower, but the rest have not even got a bud on so i don`t know what is going on with them this year.
I shall neglect them next year as my nieghbour does and he gets loads of flowers.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 22:00:34 »
 & i thought it was just mine :( :(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 09:47:57 »
 :(  One lot of mine was attacked by thips & just look a mess but I have others in other parts of the garden & they look really healthy as normal but only a few flowers I'm afraid, it is a bit puzzling as I usully have a lovely show.  :( :'(
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 00:39:18 »
it is still a tad early for some of the later flowering ones so don't give up hope. Frustrating though. I have the same problem with my zantedeschias - lush leaves but no flowers - wondering if the pot is too small or the general feeding i give plants is not necessary. Oh yeh, the agapanthus is also showing no sign of flowers......gloom.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 06:53:23 »
My Agapanthus is also very late  :( what is going on i wonder.  Still no sign of any more glads ::).

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 08:59:38 »
How strange  ??? :o

My daughter normally has gladioli coming up in her garden every year but this year they have not been seen.

:(
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 13:20:26 »
 :) Poor show on glads but Agapanthus have been magnificent. going over a bit now I'm afraid, will post pic later.  :)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 10:40:54 »
Are there different types of Glads?

What I thought were Gladioli now appear to be about to flower, but they flowers are out on long stems, rather than close to the main leaves (does that make sense! will get a photo).

They look more like very tall freesias, or day lilles. Has anyone ever come across Glads that look like this?

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 12:11:15 »
There are several different types of glads, one of my favourites is Byzantius (?), they have flowers as you describe I think, on stalks from the main stem a bit like a hosta flower or crocosmia but deep magenta colour.

I expect all the species are like this as I would think that the breeding has produced the large close flower spikes as being desirable.

Rosie

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 12:14:07 »
just googled and it is Byzantinus - sorry

R

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 13:43:30 »
well I have learnt something! thank you. Looking forward to seeing them come out then, never seen any variations from the norm!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 15:43:36 by daisymay »

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 15:00:14 »
Mine have been baked alive I think, only one showing and no flower. I'm going to dig them up and get rid. In fact nothing has done well in the flower borders this year, I'm seriously re designing and researching different plants, drought tolerant, trouble is the ones I have come across I either don't like, or too tiny, I like big blousy shrubs and flowers.I don't much like the colour of my glads so its a good excuse to let them go.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 08:20:40 »
 :) Hi all,
I know exactly what you mean Val. We Have lovely light loamy soil, but it's water retaining properties are almost nil.  :'(  No amount of mulching, digging in of organic matter or bark chips on the top stop the flower beds drying out, so like you am in process of finding drought resistant plants that will fit in with the rest of the plants in the bordrers. Have put some, that will cope in pots, so I can keep them moist. I'm afraid I do not beleive in watering lawns or flower beds, but I doo like my flowers..!!! I know sad person.  ::)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 15:35:33 »
We have clay soil, but no amount of compost or manure seems to stop it cracking wide open. I've put in a couple of cistus they are quite pretty and still alive, but thats as far as I've got. I'm trying to get plants to shade the soil but can't get them established in the first place. We're on a water meter so when the butts are empty, I've had it, I usually save that water for the hanging baskets and veg in pots.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal