Author Topic: aphid infested broccoli  (Read 1900 times)

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
aphid infested broccoli
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:55:57 »
This year is the first time I have grown calabrese. The plants grew vigorously & produced lovely heads, but when I picked a few, they were heavily infested with well concealed aphids and scale like bugs. I washed them, I left them submerged in water overnight to drown the bugs, but in the end I had to toss them on the compost heap because there were still so many bugs left. I grow organically, and tried derris, but that made no impact. I still have some left in the garden, is there any way to get the bugs off so I can actually harvest some? I haven't tried insecticidal soap yet, because the derris had no effect, would that be worth trying? Does anyone know how to make your own insecticidal soap? (It's expensive to buy here, when you can find it).

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: aphid infested broccoli
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 11:28:26 »
Hello, my cabbages were attacked with cloudy aphid about a month ago. Like yourself i was trying to be organic so i faced a dilemna. Allotment neighbour recomended Doffs pest spray, so i used this and thankfully i've been eating cabbagaes for past couple of weeks. Otherwise i would have had to throwthem.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:45:36 »
You could fleece them  :)    You can put the calabrese heads once picked into your sink and fill with water and put some salt in.  It kills the bugs and they float to the top or earwigs sink to the bottom  :)

I've got some organic bug spray from the lotty shed but I've not had to use it yet
I came, I saw, I composted

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 11:57:04 »
Wardy, I tried the watery death thing. The bugs died, but even in death were still clinging on grimly, sigh.

Guess I'm just going to have chuck them on the compost heap & fleece them next year, oh well, live and learn.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 14:25:25 »
You can't win em all  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 18:42:36 »
Try rhubarb leaf tea instead. That's pretty effective.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 18:45:52 »
Just think how many times the market calabrese has been sprayed!!

Yes - as ever - FLEECE!!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 22:15:38 »
Or fine meshed insect netting.

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 09:23:40 »
I use 5L pump type pressure sprayers and adjust the nozzle to a single jet of water. It's quite a powerful jet and I have found it effective to blast bugs off the plants whilst they are still growing in the ground. Give your crop a blast just prior to harvesting.

Salty water does seem to be a more effective first wash/soak for slugs and other bugs.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 13:16:08 »
How about trying the biological control to eat the little beasties off for you?  It's not cheap but perhaps worth it as a quick working last resort?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 16:51:19 »
I put a fine netting over my calabrase as soon as they were planted out, and I think this has made a great difference to the bug infestation.  Have starting picking my heads now and they are great.  Sorry you are having trouble with yours,  hope you manage to find a solution.  I would consider protection of some sort next year as it is such a disappointment when all your work comes to nothing.  :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 11:51:23 »
Eat the bugs, it's all good protein.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal