Author Topic: gnarled old blackberries  (Read 2878 times)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
gnarled old blackberries
« on: November 30, 2003, 02:17:41 »
having taken over next doors plot, I had a go at disentangling the blackberries (which Reg assured me grew as bigasgolf balls!). He said they were thornless but, when we went for a reccie,they were a huge snarled, very prickly mass. An hour later, I think I have got it down to a manageable framework of largely smooth branches in 2 vaguely fan-like forms. It certainly looks better but, for all I really know about non-hedgerow brambles, I could have slowly murdered them. If they do survive, do they fruit on old or new wood? Will I know what is what by next spring - it is really difficult taking over a neglected plot as I haven't a clue what is actually growing - summer raspberries, autumn?, what are these currant type bushes? and so on. What are the chances of bramble jelly next year?
Suggestions welcome.
PS, Reg also swears that there is asparagus somewhere but I cannot see it . Could it just be like, really young?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: gnarled old blackberries
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 03:01:36 »
Hi congrats on the new plot read your thread nice one you must have loads of enegy.
Blackberrys like rasberries fruit on last seasons new growth. Blackcurrents leave them alone untill they have finish fruiting in summer then cut out the fruiting branches stick them in the ground to make new plants for comming years. Aspargras? will have died down now so unless he can remember where he planted it your best to wait till it grows. Roots like thongs not the ladies kind but stragly roots you could ask the next door lottie neighbrough if he remembers where it is.
Teresa

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 12:40:50 »
The Thornless blackberry has this nasty habit of throwing out very prickly shoots from below ground. You need to get right down to the root and pull themout as they are stronger growing than the unthorned branches (and a darn sight harder to tie in and pick from).
Gardening is the great leveller.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 23:06:24 »
Eric and Teresa, thank you both.
Well, my sweetheart, Reuben, is real handy with a spade or mattock - anything that requires strength and patience- so he did a great job of digging out all the prickly stems. We managed to leave some vigorous branches so live inhope of seeing some sort of crop next year.
To be honest, I get almost overwhelmed every time I get down to the lottie (pretty much every day unless rain too grim). We had worked quite hard getting raised beds in and had thought we could look forward to a relaxing winter planning our seed ordering...Ha! When we took on our no.1 plot, we just strimmed the lot down to the ground and dug away, building a bed as soon as there was space. I feel quite a responsibility with this plot to try to resurrect as much as possible and, at this time of year, a neglected lottie looks saaaad! Still, good job we both like digging - we were lucky enough to be taught as children and get loads of practice in our day jobs. This site also helps hugely.
Am thinking of keeping a diary so looking forward to my son helping me do a homepage over Xmas.
cheers, Suzy

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 21:52:47 »
i also have unidentified currants as they had no fruit left (the birds!) when i got the lottie. interested to see what they produce next year!! it all adds to teh excitement!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 21:58:04 »
Oh Legless
Blackcurrents are good but redcurrents with strawberries make lovely jam better still jelly not pips.
try to keep the ground round them damp old manure or compost swells the fruits. This also works well for all fruit.
Teresa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal