Author Topic: Dog going blind  (Read 2752 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Dog going blind
« on: July 20, 2005, 21:18:30 »
My little JR  is going blind.  He has been short sighted for some years but he's recently suddenly got much worse. 
Any tips for dealing with it other than just normal routine.  I daren't let him off the lead or anything as I think he could get lost.  He's a bit mutt and Geoff as well   :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:02:24 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Dog going blind
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 21:26:43 »
Sorry to hear that wardy.My old dog had cataracts and we had one removed but it did no good and we wish we hadn't put her through it.She adapted well though to being virtually blind,just so long as we didn't move the furniture round.She got used to nosing her way through the house and garden.I think dogs use their sense of smell more than ever.Try just gently guiding him with your hands and talk a bit louder to him if he is deaf.

Jack Russels have a reputation for long living so i hope he can get used to a new way of life.i am sure he will.
Margaret

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 21:48:29 »
Hi Wardy

Bud sends his love to JR. We can see from your photo that there is no red eye, but white. I remember a picture of a little boy that had this white eye he had an op and it saved his sight. It does seem to confirm the loss of sight.

My friend had a JR that went blind and lived to 21. Sensible things she did were:- Always whistling when near the dog, keeping stuff in the same place, minimal stuff about, make sure you get JR to drink when you are watching, command word for going peepee or poo poo so minimal accidents. Very important tell visitors how to act round JR to minimise stress to him. Regular vet visits to same vet or get vet to come to your home. Watch him if he is used to getting on furniture, he may forget where he is and come down a bit quick. Reduce access to upstairs same reason. Make sure you know where he is at all times so you dont tread on him!!!

Bud says My mum has been rotten today, V>E>T>S for my jabs, wormer and flea treatment, d**n cat got them. TE HE cat had the same. Mum is now moaning about the cost.
Supernan!!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 08:48:35 »
Our old dog had cataracts and went deaf. We found he soon got to feel his way around the house, but outside he felt safest on the lead, he wouldn't go out without it on. He didn't want to go far either. Its sad but it seems inevitable, the dog we have now is starting to show signs of cataracts too.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 11:35:20 »
Hello Wardy. (Elsa sends her love as well). Lorna jnr  got pepi from the local RSPCA rescue centre They said they had done a full check. After having him a few days she thought he was bumping in to things, took him to our vet who told her he had cataracts. (pretty annoying as she had to declare this on her Insurance). Anyhow Wardy after about three weeks he  was managing very well.He even follows Lorna to the loo.... sits ouside squeaking until she comes out..Have you had him from puppy, I know you said previously he was getting on.. I think he has just got to be in familiar surroundings. Lorna.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 20:54:59 »
Oh poor Wardy !  :-\

Heidi, our resident labrador passes her kisses ( ;D :)) and lots of hugs. 

Could you possibly talk to the vet and see if it is worth her having the cataracts removed??  Is it painful ?? 
I really hate to hear that animals are in pain.
Please do let us know the outcome - I understand how you feel. 
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 00:13:37 »
Someone I know had a young cat that was sighted, then it for no apparant reason, went totally blind overnight. Vet conjectured that perhaps it had had an accident in the house and banged itself on the head, because no sign of trauma or disease.

I know that the relative youth of the cat helped, but the owner set the furniture in one specific pattern, the food & litter trays in exactly the same place... and the cat adapted quite quickly.

The dilemma re: surgery on an older pet, is one I've had to weigh up more than once, together with the help of some straight-talking advice from my vet (I don't want the frills, and once that's known, brass tacks - for me - helps clarify the situation).

My own more recent quandries - elderly cat with abdominal cancer, and then a middle-aged & much beloved tom with lymphoma - both settled on the non-surgical front. It gave them a better quality of life for the time they had remaining... when compared to the risks of anaesthesia on older pets, the possible increased rate of cancerous cell division post-surgery, and the post-surgical recovery period itself.

Security and familiarity may help...  is it definitely cataracts, or could something else be causing the blindness?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 01:00:56 »
We have a cavelier king charles spaniel called James.  He is fourteen and is blind and deaf.  He doesn't make tears and I have to bathe his eyes and put drops in several times a day to moisten them.  The vet told us that it is one of the ailments of his breed and his eyes are badly scarred. 

I walk him on the lead round the block every day and he knows the route very well.  I always know when he will stop and what places he likes to sniff.  His sense of smell is the one faculty that is very good.  He loves our garden and is well used to wandering around it  by himself.  He has a good quality of life and is a very happy dog.  Before I knew he had a problem he used to walk into walls and lamp posts but I am now very careful with him, though he seems to manage very well now.

The first thing would be to consult a vet if you already haven't, to try to establish why he has gone blind and what can be done for him, safely and kindly.  I think there should be no reason he can't adapt to his condition and live a perfectly happy life.   Lots of love to him :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 02:06:54 »
Hi Wardy,
                When I read your post about JR I just felt that I had to reply.

Homoeopathic medicine and biochemic tissue salts may help to aleviate / partially restore JR's sight.

I do not know what your financial circumstances are, but I would find out if there is a homoeopathic vet in your area and if so seek treatment there.

If you draw a blank on the homoeopathic vet situation let me know and I will tell you the remedies that I think may help and where to purchase them.

having said all that you are absolutely correct about JR being afraid when at the allotments to combat this there is a Bach Flower Remedy called "Mimulus".

Mimulus is a remedy for fears of any kind, it has a wonderful effect on animals that find great difficulty in coping with a new / strange environment.

Our dowager Becky is absolutely terrified by fireworks and although she is still a bit skitish it calms her down to the extent of not going into palpatations if one goes off.

PREMTAL :)

PS:- If you are unable to secure the services of a homoeopathic vet send me personal message and we will take it from there.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 10:44:13 »
Hi Premtal. Hope you don't mind me coming in on your post to Wardy.Elsa my King Charles (6in Sept)  is  also absolutely terrified of fireworks. She gets on the back of the settee and tries to claw through the wall. I get tablets from the vet (acp 10mg)although they calm her a bit  I still have to take her in the kitchen and turn my music on full blast to muffle the sound. I wondered if your suggestion would be better for her and where can I get  "Mimulus"? I hate to see her like this and dread fireworks. Regards Lorna.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 01:53:51 »
Hi Wardy,
                As we dog owners all know dogs are not pets they are family and are treated as such. ;D

Regarding the Eyebright I personally would not use it in this situation. Only the homoeopathic mother tincture has relevance in matters medicinal as its purity goes far beyond the normal herbal tinctures.

From what you have said about the traveling it would seem that you are the dominant personality in JR's life.

When fear manifests itself  the dog will take comfort and re-assurance in the presence of only the dominant personality.

Please keep me posted on what transpires.

PREMTAL :)

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 02:49:08 »
Hi Lorna,
              You will Find it at any Holland & Barrett store and I believe that Boots also stock it in their health foods section.

I sympathise with your problem and regardless of how well it works I would still do the kitchen thing.

I have gone through all the pain and mental torment of watching Becky become a complete "bag of jaggies" when it all kicks off.

Sympathy turns into unbridled anger because at the end of the day it is just an excuse for the mindless morons to go on the rampage and make life hell for every one. 

Sorry for the rant,  but God how I hate that time of year. >:(

Take a favourite toy in with you and keep your dog amused and distracted from what is happening outside.

There is a failsafe remedy I use when all else fails but I it is not one that I can recommend on this site.

If you send me a personal message with your e-mail address I will contact you just before the firework season begins with the details. ;)

PREMTAL

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 10:46:26 »
Hi again Premtal. My email address is on my profile but I have sent you a PM.Thanks for info where I can buy Mimulus. Lorna.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 15:08:34 »
Hi Wardy!

Aw your poor doggy  :( .  I just wanted to tell you that there is a black Lab who lives in our street who is totally blind. As long as the furniture isn't moved about she copes fine in the house. She enjoys a walk on the field off the lead and has had the indignity of my Cassie introducing herself with a nose up her bum! She leads a happy life and so I reckon your Russ will too once he gets the hang of what is going on and puts his nose into gear. Give him a big hug and I hope the remedies you are seeking for him help him lots.

When I go anywhere with Cassie for a long time I take her (stinky) bed with her. It seems to settle her down. Could Russ take a blanket or bed with you to the allotment if you don't want to leave him on his own?

Cassie is going deaf so I now have two pets that totally ignore me!  ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 16:45:35 »
Heldi. I know it isn't funny when your animals have anything wrong, ie deafness but our last lovely labrador would ACT deaf., we had land when she was alive and if she was walking down to the field I would call her and she would almost lift her head in a defiant manner and keep walking until I SHOUTED Sadie, then she knew I meant it.!! If you called DINNER in normal way she would come back at a trot!! I always take Elsa's own bed to the kennels for her. Lorna.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 20:16:49 »
Hi Lorna, I at first thought that Cass had developed selective hearing,especially when the vet had a quick check and could find nothing apparently wrong. I changed my mind when my calling for her was at tea time where there were some juicey morsels on offer. I eventually had to wave it under her nose!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal