Author Topic: Satisfaction/Dissatisfaction.  (Read 3580 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Satisfaction/Dissatisfaction.
« on: August 04, 2005, 17:43:12 »
For various reasons we do not go on holidays, in the accepted sense, as in "We're off to Sunny Spain" etc. Our holidays consist of visiting gardens. This last few weeks we have been to various National Trust properties, Bodnant, Hanbury Hall, Chirk Castle, Powys Castle, Croft Castle and today Wrightwick Manor. Also been round Barnsdale gardens (Geoff Hamilton's creations) and various other places in the Yellow Gardens open for Charity book.
Now this may sound big headed, it is not meant to be, but in nearly every case we come home and feel satisfied with what we have achieved here. There were parts of Barnsdale which made us feel that we could achieve more, but that is the only one (so far).
So how do you good folks feel about it, do you visit other people's gardens and do they generally confirm your prejudices that your garden is as good if not better or do they make you feel dissatisfied with your efforts?
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Satisfaction/Dissatisfaction.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 17:55:07 »
With what you've achieved, Eric, you have every right to feel the way you do.

As for us, we don't do visits any more. Sad, isn't it? We're lumbered with what we've got & that gets more & more difficult to control year on year.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 18:02:26 »
Eric it's not surprising you feel that way, your garden is fantastic and you ought to be very proud indeed. :)

I'm always inspired by other gardens, there's always some idea that I take away with me to apply to my garden, I guess it's because I've still got sooooooo much to learn ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 18:48:05 »
Hi Eric! This is my first full year of gardening and it was a new year resolution to visit at least 5 gardens in the year (not a stiff target but I wanted to start with something attainable - I have hardly ever visited a public garden before, and never willingly! I was as anti-gardening then as I am pro it now.).

Anyway, I have visited a few gardens and garden shows now. I usually find some points of interest or plant combinations to inspire me! There are some lovely gardens around, and every one is unique. I am trying to get a feel for what works and what doesn't (in my eyes). I love traditional borders and yearn for a larger garden. I live in London and have a postage stamp garden.

I have to agree though, that no matter how lovely a day out, it is always a pleasure to return to my own garden and sit out with a drink in hand! When visitors compliment me on the garden, I could burst with pride. I suppose that is the best thing about your own garden - it is YOURS and noone else's. But I use other people's gardens as an inspiration.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 18:57:26 by Lord Steve »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 20:12:58 »
Eric. your garden is beautiful and must be an inspiration to folk who see yours.  I hope that one day I am passing your 'road end' and drop in and see your paradise on earth.

:D :D :D :D :D

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 20:43:56 »
I certainly don't think that returning home after a garden visit and finding your garden satisfying is big headed Eric. I love visiting gardens and can't really say that I'm satisfied by what I return to, but I'm pleased with what I've achieved. I do find that other gardens open my mind up a bit more and give me more ideas though. I just need more space!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 21:08:16 »
Over recent years we have visited alot of local Yellow Book gardens & we have frequently felt that our garden is better. Obviously what you have invested so much time, money, blood, sweat & tears into is going to be quite hard to beat because it is you. I certainly cant say that after visiting some of the large gardens you mention,  mine is just a tiny plot so there is no comparison really. I just look at them & (generally) admire. Talking of admiring, (which I'm afraid I did on another board), have you been to East Ruston Old Vicarage? I think it has to be the best (private) garden I have been to. I was totally gobsmacked by the whole thing.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 22:52:31 »
Regardless of how grand or intricate the gardens or shows I visit, I never feel anything more than a kindred spirit with those who do the work, as I know my efforts are no less than theirs. Besides, no matter where I go, I'm always just glad to get back to Old Hapless anyway.
The one problem I have with going to visit other gardens is the temptation to DO something! I hate just looking - I want to POTTER!!!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 00:27:35 »
I know what you mean, Amazin.  Once, when visiting a certain famous garden I saw a charlock growing in the herbaceous border.  Without thinking I bent down and pulled it out and was immediately surrounded by a group of irate ladies who wanted to have me arrested for vandalism.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 08:57:12 »
In expressing satisfaction with what we have achieved, I did not mean that we do not find things in other gardens which give us pause for thought, or that we think our plot is beyond improvement far from it.
As said, the one point about your own garden IS the "I made this" feeling, especially here where we started off with a bare field. This garden really is 'all our own work.'
Also having started from scratch (literally with the brambles and thistles and broken glass) we can appreciate the work done by those people who make and upkeep these open gardens.
I'm with you Amazin and Kepouros, my fingers start twitching when I see something which needs doing.
On the other hand we both like to find weeds in gardens, it gives us a sense of kinship. I mean if they cannot get rid of bindweed and ground elder etc. then perhaps we need not worry so much about our failures either.
Interesting comments, thank-you.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 09:47:13 »
Hi Eric, my ideal garden is low maintenance, balanced design and fully productive, you don't see many of those at Chelsea.Only visit local gardens now, and Barnsdale isn't too far away, heavy clay, I think.On the list.So much ADVERTISING at these National events, and tat on sale.Once managed to visit Peckover House at Wisbech,Norfolk, then on to an horticultural auction,then the Elgoods Brewery Gardens followed by a beerfest tasting.Then was driven home via apple blossom orchards.A perfect day.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:52:14 »
I've been to a well known Northumberland garden and felt disappointed. It was late in the season,the roses had gone over and they were left with their flowers dying shrivelled and looking a sorry sight. I had the urge to do some dead heading and couldn't understand why they had been left like this. It is right at an entrance point and was not a good thing to walk into. Maybe it is because I worked for a parks dept. in the past and all I did was maintenance, maintenance, maintenance! I don't expect every weed to be pulled and every dead flower beheaded though.  I keep going back to the garden and have enjoyed it immensly.  Generally I find gardens inspiring and lovely though I think there is always something you think you could have ideas about  :) .

I'm not satisfied yet with my garden and probably never will be but I enjoy it all the same. I'd love to be confident enough to let the public in but I think people would be thinking about how they could do it better lol

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 09:58:58 »
The only garden I've visited that actually made me feel inadequate was the kitchen garden at West Dean.  There were no weeds in sight and it was immaculately planted.  Anyone else been there?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 10:00:43 »
we don't really visit gardens (other than those of friends and family!), but I do look at pictures in books and on TV. Even when they might look better than ours, there's always something that I wouldn't do, design wise. But at other times they inspire me with more ideas of things to do.

I often look at my garden and think, oh that could be better, that really doesn't work, etc, but I feel that's half the fun of it. It's all created by my own hands (and Mr Aqui's) and nothing can be better than that. I would hate to feel like I'd finished my garden, because then I would have to just keep trying to keep it looking perfect, which is never going to happen. And once it's done, what would I do?
gone to pot :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 14:28:50 »
We don't have access to many gardens as we don't have a car, but the ones we do see always inspire me, and I go back to ours with a new slant on things and renewed enthusiasm.

I agree with other comments Eric, your garden is beautiful and you have ever reason to be very proud of it.  It is always a delight to see any of your photos and it must stand up well with any other gardens on display.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal