Author Topic: Organic Growbags  (Read 7852 times)

Diana

• Acre
Organic Growbags
« on: July 19, 2005, 16:05:28 »
Is anyone using organic growbags this year? I am for the first time + I'm not impressed with the results. :(

Where I've done trials + put some plants in organic, some in normal the organic ones show poor growth, bad colour and much less vigour.

I've made sure all have been watered + fed identically.

My toms are a disaster! :'(

Anyone else having problems / had problems in the past + managed to correct it?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Organic Growbags
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 17:11:15 »
Bought one but didn't use it.
Can't see much point in not using artificial fertilisers in bags - can't harm anyone or thing?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 20:08:04 »
I bought some from our lotty shop and put three rows of pak choi in which did very well but then I don't think they are heavy feeders.  The compost did seem to be quite dry to start with as opposed to the cheap ones and I think it dried out quickly so me too not impressed
I came, I saw, I composted

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 22:25:19 »
yes, me too. toms seem not to be doing much, very pale and quite leggy with not many flowers, even with a feed once a week and watered every day.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 22:39:21 »
::) What is so special about growbags ??? I think I bought 7 and maybe the odd organic too! and having grown so many toms I put the rest in large plastic pots and they are romping away faster than the growbag jobbies. :o ;D

BTW I'm not bragging as the fruits that are showing are tiny compared to yoos folk out there :-\ ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 23:51:35 »
I suspect organic growbags/compost can be more variable than those including peat. I've used Gem Natural Earth organic multi for everything this year and have to say I've had spectacular results. I did add a bit of humates for seed sowing but otherwise it's just compost and the odd maxicrop or comfrey feed. I haven't found it retains water as well as some composts but it drinks easily when dry.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:32:02 »
Got that DJBR  Thanks  :)    I'll have a look to see if they sell it at the shed.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 13:09:36 »
Have used:

B&Q organic - last year with good results, although they do dry out quicker.

J arthur Bowers New Horizon - this year and toms seem to be romping away - in a nice warm sheltered spot though - and the growbags looked in excellent nick when I bought them, not compacted at all. I find these bags dry out quickly, and in the current sun and heat, I am watering at least twice a day

Levington Organic - growing some lettuce leaves in one of these and they seem to be doing well.

For seed sowing and general purpose I have used JAB new horizon Coir, which I find more like peat for seed sowing. I know there is some argument that it isn't very organic cos of transport costs, but at least it isn't peat, and my HDRA book says it's organic.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 22:02:07 »
I'm growing tomatoes for the first time this year, outdoors on the patio which is sheltered (and very hot!).  I'm using B&Q organic growbags and I've found my plants are doing really well.  In fact, I've got that many tomatoes on my bush varieties that I've had to support them!  I've also got cordon tomatoes which again are doing really well - loads of fruit and still more flowers coming.  I water every day (in the evening), and feed once a week.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 17:06:14 »
yes, me too. toms seem not to be doing much, very pale and quite leggy with not many flowers, even with a feed once a week and watered every day.

Sounds exactly like mine! :'(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 15:50:09 »
I hate growbags.

I grow tomatoes either in the ground, in large pots (10-12" diameter) or in growbags cut in half and upturned. The growing medium is 50/50 sieved soil and homemade compost/manure. They grow much better, need much less watering and I'm sure taste better.
gone to pot :D

ndkc2003

• Not So New ...
  • Zak - the other man in my life.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 10:22:29 »
I too used them for the first time and snap not at all impressed with the results, toms a disaster, cucumbers a little better but not good. I find that they stay too wet. All the others I bought got emptied into the raised bed.

ndkc2003

• Not So New ...
  • Zak - the other man in my life.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 10:25:56 »
Looks like the answer with these is to use a mix with soil & use in pots. I'll try it next year.

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 12:26:46 »
I did get one Organic growbag this year, I may have bought more but I have to get everything home by bus and they were considerably heavier than the regular growbag.  Once home I mixed it with compost I had there and planted my toms, courgettes, peppers and chilli's in pots and everything is doing really well.  Then again, I do have a lovely sunny and warm patio in the SE of London and everything is doing really well...so far.

M.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 21:25:41 »
I'm growing tomatoes for the first time this year, outdoors on the patio which is sheltered (and very hot!).  I'm using B&Q organic growbags and I've found my plants are doing really well.  In fact, I've got that many tomatoes on my bush varieties that I've had to support them!  I've also got cordon tomatoes which again are doing really well - loads of fruit and still more flowers coming.  I water every day (in the evening), and feed once a week.

How strange...  ::) Just the opposite with mine I bought 3 organic and 3 ordinary B&Q growbags, the organic are pale and skinny with virtually no yield and the ordinary are romping away...weird ::)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 07:51:07 »
Try the open ground like aqualigia said! It is the best organic medium you can ask for. If you have a small garden then why not intermingle with ther flowers. You can grow a bush variaty (goldern oldie is The Amature). Give it a go in the grownd. Add some muck in the winter and come planting time you will have soil that will grow tomatoes the size of pimpkins. ( slight egsajaration) :D

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 08:44:06 »
I had some bags of organic compost (supposed to be used as a soil improver) and I planted 3 tomato plants in one and used some to try and grow seeds and also pot up some seedlings.

The tomatoes are doing really well. The leaves are looking a little worse for wear at the moment (possibly to do with the aphids and caterpillars!), but the fruit is all ripening nicely.

As for my seedlings and plants - well it was a bit hit and miss :(. The stuff planted in multi-purpose did really well, but the organic was very poor. Definitely had less seeds germinate and the seedlings were very slow to develop. Ended up re-potting in multi-purpose to save them!

I also noticed that a lot of toadstalls were coming up in the organic compost!

Back to multi-purpose next year - sorry!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 08:46:16 by EmmaLou »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 09:37:28 »
I've got some multipurpose ( which is Humax )and it won't wet so all my seedlings are withering away even though they've been sitting in a tray of water. you can see them sitting in the water but the compost is not taking it up.  What good's that?  I bought a massive bag too which makes my blood boil  Grrrr    I managed to get some corn salad to germinate in it and they looked well for about a week but now they're just shrivelling up.  Have to mix with some garden compost and leaf mould

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 10:45:35 »

How strange...  ::) Just the opposite with mine I bought 3 organic and 3 ordinary B&Q growbags, the organic are pale and skinny with virtually no yield and the ordinary are romping away...weird ::)

Very strange, Roy.  My plants are still going great guns - in fact, I've had to pinch out the cordons already as they have enough trusses on now.  I'm growing marigolds in with the toms and they are thriving and flowering continuously.  Also, I've planted one organic growbag up with sunflowers and they are thriving.  Very strange.  I do have to water every day but I think this is the norm for growbags  ???   I'm using growbags as I rent a flat and cant use the garden (shame, as its huge and nothing is done with it!).  Now that I've got a lottie not sure what I'll do next year but as the growbags have been OK for me probably will continue.  Will be picking first ripe tomato today to have with my lunch  ;D  First harvest ever of toms!!!

EmmaLou - I've used organic compost for all my seeds (as got lottie late started everything off at home) and my germination has been excellent - in fact, too good in some cases as the extras I planted in case some didn't germinate also germinated!  Everything from peas, runners, cabbages, pumpkins, courgettes, cucumbers - all germinated really well - used B&Q organic compost.  Very strange  ???

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 13:10:36 »
Try the open ground like aqualigia said! It is the best organic medium you can ask for. If you have a small garden then why not intermingle with ther flowers. You can grow a bush variaty (goldern oldie is The Amature). Give it a go in the grownd. Add some muck in the winter and come planting time you will have soil that will grow tomatoes the size of pimpkins. ( slight egsajaration) :D

The_Snail

Not sure how they'd do outdoors in Scotland - anyone?

Greenhouse has a slab floor so can't do them in the ground in there ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal