Author Topic: Guess what I saw at Homebase?  (Read 3009 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Guess what I saw at Homebase?
« on: July 19, 2005, 13:36:45 »
I thought I was dreaming (or, alternatively, nightmaring) during last weekend's visit to Homebase in Portsmouth.  There, in amongst the potted plants - all clearly labelled up and priced up -  they were selling Horsetail :o!

Why on earth would you buy it?  As a gift?

Is it Mother-in-Law's Day soon?  Or Bitter-&-Twisted-Divorcees Day?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Re: Guess what I saw at Homebase?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 14:08:14 »
Saw it in Epsom, but only after reading your post twigged that my first impression was on the nail.
Muppets to sell it. Muppets to buy it.
Does it have a positive use I'm not aware of?
If it does I will set about nurturing it instead of fanatically digging down, pulling, losing the bottom part, and cursing.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 16:42:33 »
Hi Trenchboy,
                      Horsetail is a medicinal herb used in the treatment of incontinence, and is considered to be a specific in the treatment of benign enlargement of the prostate gland.
In German herbal medicine they use an extract of this herb to treat osteoporosis because of the high silicic acid content of the herb.
If you get a cut break off a stem and rub the sap on the wound the astringent action will stop the blood flow and heal the wound. ;)

Having said all that the mind boggles at anyone actually selling it for the purpose of cultivation. ???

PREMTAL

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 17:18:29 »
Premtal

Thank you
I have osteoporosis - so I will now start looking out for details.

Given that I take warfarin it may even be of use when next i slash myself with the sickle..

Any use for oxalis/bindweed?

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 00:45:31 »
Hi Trenchboy,
                      None, other than using it as a substitute when I run out of twine to tie up canes it being strong and flexible when in growth. ;)

PREMTAL

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 10:37:12 »
Premtal    You seem to know a thing or two about uses for plants.  Is there any plant which I can use to treat blackspot on my roses.  The stuff I bought I won't use (until the dead of night) as it says it KILLS BEES  :o      Blackspot has only started to be a problem since the local chemical plant closed down and the air is NOT now full of sulphur (apparently)  :)

Thanks Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 16:34:31 »
That is almost as bad as seeing ground elder labelled in the flower border at the Centre for Alternative Technology - according to one of the panel on GQT - ground elder omelette (excellent cure for constipation...)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 03:13:59 »
Hi Wardy,
                I am essentially a medicinal herb type who also grows veg, flowers are the domain of my better half.

Having said that I will endeavour to to find something for you.

PREMTAL :)

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 11:04:53 »
Horsetail also makes a great hand and tool cleaner, just scrunch a ball of it up & use to scrub clean. I've been told it works well as a pot scourer too. It's abrasive enough to get rid of the grubbiest allotment muck, and the high silicone content leaves your hands nice and soft.

Premtal, borage has seeded itself on my plot, what can it be used for. The only use I know of is using the flowers in salad?

intastella

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 23:59:43 »

'weeds are only plants growing in the wrong place'

heard that years ago and never forgot it!i spose eveything can be used for something(well,nearly everything!)if you want to give horsetail a go but dont want it to take over,keep it in a pot,but away from your main plot,just in case!
vegetable rights and peace!

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 02:37:45 »
Hi Organicartist,
                          Borage(Borago Officinalis) has always been known as the herb of gladness.

An infusion of the dried flowering top is said to restore the spirits, this is probably due to the effect in has on the adrenal glands.

It has been recomended for those who have been treated with cortisone or steroids because of its ability to revive and renew the adrenal glands.

Pour boiling water onto 2 teaspoonfuls of the dried herb,
leave for 10 to 15 minutes, strain and drink.

Premtal ;)

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 02:46:33 »
Hi Wardy,
                this link may be of some help to you if not let me know.
http://www.ibiblio.org/rge/archive/981020_20862.html

PREMTAL :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 11:41:38 »
Ta very much Premtal  :)   I've read that and will follow the instructions and see if the situation improves.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 11:43:33 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 01:02:20 »
Hi trenchboy,
                     I should have replied sooner to say that you should always inform your warfarin clinic if you are intending to take another medicinal treatment. ;)

They will then advise you as to whether it can safely be taken in conjunction with warfarin. ???

PREMTAL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal