Author Topic: ants in courgette flowers  (Read 4877 times)

beethobensonata

• Not So New ...
ants in courgette flowers
« on: July 18, 2005, 08:33:28 »
Can anyone tell me if it is a problem to have ants swarming in my courgette flowers? If so how can i get rid of them safely?  many thanks
i should be beethovensonata but can't type!!!!!!

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Re: ants in courgette flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:53:18 »
Same thing for me, too. Also, flowers come out but have all then closed up tight. This is not, I suppose, a good thing...

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:24:24 »
Hi Beethobensonata
                                 If you feel that the ants are becoming a problem the following was part of a posting by Portway Farm:-

If ants are a big problem put some Semolina on the ground where they are active, the ants will take it to the queen who will eat it, but be unable to digest it and explode. (no queen, no eggs, no ants!!!) ;D

Hope this may be of some help to you.

PS:- Beethobens 5th symphony might be a good accompaniment to the Semolina sweet ;)

PREMTAL

grubbyhobbit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:21:44 »
Hiya,
I seem to have lots of ants, on courgettes, outdoor cucumbers and chillis.
They dont seem to be causing any problems - in fact, the plants with ants seem to have less trouble in the way of aphids, also they may be helping with the pollen transfer on their little feet.
All plants are fruiting away quite happily.

In terms of your courgette flowers, they only seem to open first thing in the morning and then shut down for the rest of the day.  I was worried that mine weren't opening as I only get to my plot in the evening, but was advised by a helpful soul on here of the morning opening and I am now up to my ears in courgettes!!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:15:24 »
ants and aphids make a great combination, because the ants protect the aphids and in return 'milk' them for their sweet excreetions. be careful and check that there aren't any blackfly being mollycoddled by the ants.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

grubbyhobbit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 13:32:12 »
ooooh - didnt know that. So they might be cultivating a little aphid farm right under my nose!!

beethobensonata

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 14:23:38 »
 :D Many thanks for all the advice!!  I can now rest in peace knowing my courgettes are safe ,  although i prob will try the semilina though.  (Wish i could see the queen ant 'exploding'!!!) :o
i should be beethovensonata but can't type!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal