Author Topic: I don't understand?  (Read 1947 times)

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
I don't understand?
« on: July 16, 2005, 19:52:26 »
I want to give winemaking a go.
Read the recipes..
My Mouth waters at the sound of all these fine wines...
...But cant get my head round...
"Sterilization"   ??? ???

I  soak the fruit for a few days with water .
Add sugar,
add yeast,
ferment.
????????
wont it go off ?
If i pour boiling water over the fruit and leave it to soak does this do the job ?
Do i need to add a campden tablet before adding the the yeast and sugar but after its soaked ?
The bucket/pan its soaking in sterile or no need ?
 please help.... ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: I don't understand?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 12:23:23 »
Trav, I sterilize everything the wine is going to come into contact with after it has been boiled. ( I use a solution of sodium meta-bisulphate)So for me that is, the straining bag, the bucket it is going into, then the funnel, demi-john /airlock, oh and the plastic spoon I stir it with daily in the bucket!

Each recipe seems to be different as to how the fruit etc is handled!  Just follow the recipe, it wont go off as you need to get it fermenting, but do remember to keep the bucket covered or you can end up with all sorts of problems, and nasty tasting wine! (Wine fly!!!)

It then goes from the bucket into a sterilized demi-john fitted with an airlock, and you now leave it basically alone!

The campden tablet, My book says:-

"is there to protect the must from infection and oxidisation. They are usually crushed into the liquid and work by giving off sulphur dioxide, which being heavier than air forms a "blanket" which remains over the liquid giving the protection. It is often recommended that the yeast is not added until 24 hours after the campden tablet, and this is because initially its action may inhibit fermentation"

Hope this all helps and hasn't confused you further! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal