Author Topic: relocating hedgehogs?  (Read 2736 times)

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
relocating hedgehogs?
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:19:11 »
Mummy hedgehog set up home in my garden shed & had six little hoglets. all are now a good size, and I need to move them because I can't access my shed with them in situ. I was planning to release them on the allotments, as there will be plenty of food there, not much use of pesticides, & protection from the horrid little kids who use hedgehogs as footballs. Any tips on how to go about this without causing too much distress to the hogs? (I have several piles of compost & twigs etc that they could nest in & will put a water bowl out for them).

wardy

• Hectare
Re: relocating hedgehogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 11:33:19 »
I would check with your local Wildlife Trust or RSPCA, or even Tiggywinkles, who'll give you good advice.  They'd do a great job for you on your lotty if that's where their new home is to be.  If they do end up their you'll have to keep slug pellets in containers so the hedgehogs don't eat them.  My bro has just killed his hedgehog by not doing that and he's gutted at his thoughtlessness  :(

I came, I saw, I composted

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 11:42:24 »
I don't use slug pellets, most of the allotments nearby are organic like mine, but yes, good thought, I'll mention that to the other gardeners just in case.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 19:11:48 »
Ohhhh no - do they eat slug pellets then :-[   Wonder if thats why mine disappeared from the garden..... :'(
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 20:37:27 »
Ohhhh no - do they eat slug pellets then :-[   Wonder if thats why mine disappeared from the garden..... :'(

I usually use this site for my 'hog' advice

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/dangers.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal