Author Topic: Delinquent tadpole..?  (Read 7670 times)

undercarriage plan

Delinquent tadpole..?
« on: July 14, 2005, 19:09:10 »
All the tadpoles in my pond have grown correct number of legs, lost tails and hopped away to their new and bouncy lives, apart from one......Bob.... he's not very developed, no legs, hasn't started shaving, and is not yet up to frog standards.  Why has this happened to Bob? He still little tadpole, will he stay like this indefinitely? Any advice greatly appreciated, no, really mean this one!  Lottie  ???

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Delinquent tadpole..?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 20:47:05 »
With the madness you're suffering this week are you sure its not a rotten sycamore seed floating about..........

I've never heard of none developing tadpoles.  Maybe its a different kind i.e. toad rather than frog or something?!... :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 23:11:31 »
UC put a piccie on I want to see him!!
Supernan!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 01:06:15 »
It's a tadpole!! Chances of me getting pic are minute! No wind up., promise! Really have non develpoing tadpole in pond! Icy, my week has been so bizarre you ain't touched the surface!  Lottie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 07:53:12 »
It's probably got a genetic abnormality of some kind.There are amphibians which never really reach the adult stage, so it's probably not impossible.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 08:13:57 »
Hi Lottie  :D

I have read that it normally takes about 20 days for a tadpole to become an adult frog.  If this does not happen, one of the reasons, it seems, would be unfavourable climatic conditions, i.e. too cold or too hot.  Maybe it has been too hot in your area ? ???

Hopefully the little fellow will start his/her metamorphosis and hop off like his brothers/sisters.  ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 09:13:53 »
Thank you! Daughter had me on floor laughing, I said  pic was needed, and she thinks I should sneak up on Bob....! So my task this pm is to lurk in and out of bushes and catch Bob unawares...!!!  Think this could turn into family  therapy!!  ;D  ;D  Lottie

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 13:32:40 »
Careful about the pollination!!!   After your last bush lurking escapade the bees will be off like a shot!!!!!!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 13:36:41 »
September 25 1999

Bright warm morning with heavy showers with thunder in the afternoon, Mod S.E wind,

Dragonflies still in the garden, Undeveloped tadpole still in the pond ,Robin active in the garden but not any other bird seen,

Found the above in a Natural History record so you are not alone and could have some time yet to go.  Iain

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 15:15:22 »
Thanks Iain!! Determined to try and get pic, daughter wants to look after it in jam jar...!!  :o Don't worry, wouldn't wish that horror on anything living! She's very well meaning, but would have it out to stroke it!!!  Lottie

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 18:21:14 »
Hi Lottie, ;)

Will be waiting for your news but think the jar thingy not a good idea.  The tadpole (Bob) will need to climb onto something and therefore jar not good.  I would possibly segregate him in a smaller pool with aquatic plants and food all on his own.  Good luck !

:D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 19:43:32 »
Hi Lottie,

You're not on your own as I have a Bob too!!!!!! One lone tadpole (at least I think there's only one) that's still swimming around when all his little mates have, literally, hopped off!!

I think it may be a young newt 'cause they lay their eggs singley unlike frogs and toads. I've tried to get a piccie of mine so that we can compare them but there's just no way I can manage it in a ten foot  wildlife pond without getting in there beside him.  ::) I'm gonna leave mine be and see what develops over the next couple of weeks. If you do get a close look at your Bob let me know if he's developing feathery gills as that will be proof positive he's a newt!!!!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 20:08:26 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 19:56:41 »
You angel Eileen!! Thanks, will try and get pic, or closer look, but, he's crafty little monkey!!! Daughter seems to have forgotten his existence for now, so he safe!!!!  Lottie  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 14:17:40 »
Newt tadpoles tend to look a bit more fish like.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 20:25:20 »
Definitely tadpole then, looks like tadpole, swims like tadpole, black, wriggley, tadpole!!! Lottie  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 23:08:03 »
My sister apparently has 15 Bob's!  I reckon she has made it so comfy and fed them well, they will not leave home.
Make em tidy their rooms, do their own laundry, get a job and do the washing up, then they will leave..........oh sorry I thought we were talking teenagers there for a mo! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 12:14:32 »
 :) I always seem to have a few bobs every year, they just seem to hang around for ages & then one day you look & no more bobs.   ::) Whether they just pop their clogs or birds eat them I don't know.  ???
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 13:11:28 »
Oo don't say that, Marley!! daughter very upset, her dad (my ex!!) has just phoned her to say her cat dead, not the most sensitive type!! Just calm now, gone looking for Bob, bless her! Will let you know if he still there.  I know you'll be concerned about Bob's well being.. Lottie

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 21:21:47 »
  :'(  ops, sorry just "late developers" tell her. All my kids beleived that there was an animal heaven which was very special. It is difficult for children to understand that things don't go on forever. However there is a good way of telling them & the not so good, very insensitive of him, I hope he realises the upset he has caused her. Hope she cheers up & finds Bob ok.  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 21:24:21 by Marley Farley »
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 21:57:53 »
No sign of Bob  :'(  :'( >!! Sure he there. No, sensitivity not a strong point.  If I'd known, could have prepared them, phone just passed from one child to other, hung up, then floods!! Had no idea what for!! They OK now.  Arnie (the cat) was ancient, and they know he catching mice in heaven!!! Lottie  ;D   PS thanks Marley  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal