Author Topic: Floating Pond Plants  (Read 1774 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Floating Pond Plants
« on: July 14, 2005, 17:53:59 »
I purchased some floating plants namely Common Duckweed and Large Duckweed, and a Water Soldier Plant. I understood that the duckweed was invasive? However mine hasn't had a chance to do so as it has all disappeared!   :o Also there is very little left of the Water Soldier Plant.

I contacted the company I purchased them from and they said it could be Mosquito Larvae that had eaten the plants!

Has anyone else had this problem, or can at least confirm what I have been told?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Floating Pond Plants
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 20:46:03 »
Hello garden queen.Is your pond a wildlife pond or does it have fish in it? My fish gobble up duckweed with great relish!

However the water soldier plant i would never entertain,as it has serrated edges which would rip into a fish if it caught itself on it.Fish can get very active and rough when mating!i have heard of Koi eating virtually any kind of plant,but i wouldn't think for a minute that mosquito larvae would! Do you think the water soldier could have just rotted away? I would not replace it though,that is for sure.Tell me of your set up and if you would like me to i could advise on some better choices of plants.
Margaret

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 22:35:27 »
Hello Margaret. I put the duckweed in the pond with fish in. So, noting what you have said about your fish enjoying it, that's obviously what has happened to mine!

I would be grateful for any advice you could give regarding pond plants.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 20:48:17 »
How big is your pond and how deep?What do you have already? Do you have the plants in pots or planted in the bottom mud.What do you have in the way of oxygenating weed?

Hornwort is very good as you don't even need to plant it,but it grows like mad so you do have to keep it under control.Elodea is good also but soon gets tall and leggy,so break off the top third and repot every year or so.Other plants can be miniature water lilies,or water fringe, but again that grows very quickly.You do need plenty of shade in summer of course to prevent algae problems.

Marginal plants and plants round the edges of the pond are varied and there are many to choose from.Why not see what takes your fancy at the garden centre or get a book on what plants are suitable for various environments.
Margaret

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 13:29:05 »
Hello Margaret,

The pond is 8 feet by 6 feet and nearly 3 feet in depth. I have one water lily which affords some cover.Marginals consist of Iris and one Houtynia (sp). I also have some new oxgen plants as I find the fish like to nibble these before they can get established! The small water fall is on continuously all through the year.

Having read somewhere that watercress could help green water and algae I have just planted some in gravel in the waterfall.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal