Author Topic: Winter crops  (Read 1583 times)

pembo

• Not So New ...
Winter crops
« on: July 12, 2005, 14:39:56 »
Just want to ask anyone to give me a list of any crops I can sow in October/Nov to over-winter.  Just a list will do. I am new to all this, have done o.k. with the lottie so far this year, although didnt take it on until May.  People have been so generous giving me plants etc, to get me going.  A really nice bunch!!!  But having sorted out some of the planting area, I want to finish the rest and then think about the rest of the year, and what I can expect in the Spring!!!  Thanks so much for yr support..   ???  Pembo
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
Re: Winter crops
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 14:45:32 »
Hi
I was just about to ask the same sort of question. I've just rang the allotment field secretary to see if there was any chance of me getting a plot. He's told me that 3 are coming up in or before October. I know that I'm going to have a lot of work to do when I do get it and I most probably won't even get to plant anything till the spring, but I'm keen to start. Look forward to your advice.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 15:05:11 »
at that time of year i plant/sow:

onion sets
garlic
spring cabbages
peas 'Feltham's First' (under a cloche)
hardy lettuce (under a cloche)
mizuna (under a cloche)
lamb's lettuce (under a cloche)
spinach (under a cloche)
hardy annual herbs

if the ground isn't to wet/cold then you should plant any fruit trees/bushes at this time too and also rhubarb.

you can also sow broad beans

oh you are going to be so busy, but this is really the best time to get an allotment so you can clear the soil, make beds and manure the ground before the really busy time starts in spring.  don't try to do too much at once, concentrate on getting your perennial weeds under control first, that's a winter long job in itself usually.  but most of all ENJOY YOURSELF, it's all good fun, and besides, there's always next year!
It'll be better next year

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 15:07:17 »
This autumn I will be mostly sowing/planting:

overwintering shallots
garlic
broad beans (aquadulche)
carrots (all these under cloches/fleece)
radishes
parsnip
spring onions
beetroot
Spinach
wild rocket
salady things

How many will actually work, though, is anybody's guess!
gone to pot :D

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 15:39:04 »
Maybe a silly question - but this has struck me when people talk about planting under cloches. What do you do about watering? Do you have to lift the cloche (or plastic bottle or polytunnel or whatever) every few days to water the plants? Sounds labour intensive in the middle of Winter.

Robin

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 16:28:22 »
Good question RObin. I'm hoping that the water will seep through the soil from the surrounding areas.
gone to pot :D

linty

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 20:36:39 »
if you like onions i sugggest japennese? onion sets sow late autumn with just the tips showing mine now have got to be 6inch across and ready for harvest. when  you harvest take them out of the ground lay on soil to ripen Linty

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 00:09:56 »
in winter, i find that you don't really need to water under cloches for reasons as aquilegia points out.  in summer though i use a watering spike.
It'll be better next year

scumpy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 12:07:14 »
Hi fbgrifter

As others have said onions and garlic
Peas and Broad beens
Also a range of salad leaves 'Nice and spicy' , these grew well last winter (although it was mild in my area)
Beet Spinach and Swiss Chard also grew well producing plenty of fresh leaves during the warmer periods.

Best of luck.

A little bit of green growth in the winter months gives great encouragement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal