Author Topic: My biggest harvest so far  (Read 1823 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
My biggest harvest so far
« on: July 08, 2005, 11:05:50 »
Very pleased, dug up 3 kilos (6lb) of spuds on wednesday night, had them last night for dinner, yum!

They are Concorde and Red Duke of York. Only had the concorde and they were yummy, will almost definitely grow these again next year. Probably about a third of my Rocket spuds were very slug munched, but the concorde barely touched.  Not a great yield at around 250gm per plant, but better than nothing on my clay soil!

These are some of my red baron onions, one turbo, and some garlics, can't remember the variety. The onion bed has been the most couch and bindweed-free bed, and my alliums have done pretty well.

Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

wardy

• Hectare
Re: My biggest harvest so far
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 12:39:37 »
They look brill Moggle  :)  I cooked yesterday's produce and today I've got a cauliflower so I think it's cauliflower cheese with jackets spuds.  That's if I can find any spuds on my plants  ;D     It struck me that normally I would plan a meal round meat or fish but now with my allotment veg coming to fruition I'm planning the meal round the available produce which must be a healthier option as more veg and less meat or fish.  Cheaper too  :)

BTW  Was it your good self who gave me some Grey Crown pumpkin seeds?  The plants are looking very healthy and have lovely silver flashes on the leaves  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 14:39:08 »
Yes Wardy, the grey crown came from me  :) Glad to hear that they are doing well. At least one of the ones I grew has been munched to the ground  :'( The Blue hubbard you sent me are doing well, although still in pots  ::) Will have to get them in to the ground, now that I seem to have my slug defence sorted

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 22:19:21 »
We must take photos of pumpkin fests (or maybe lack of  ;D)  I've laid acres of black plastic etc in anticipation of masses of them.  Could end up with egg on my face  ;D      Early signs are promising  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 10:16:55 »
I cooked yesterday's produce and today I've got a cauliflower so I think it's cauliflower cheese with jackets spuds.  That's if I can find any spuds on my plants  ;D   

Forgot to say well done on the cauliflower! Aren't they supposed to be really difficult to grow?

Pumpkins are starting to look promising for me too, have a Crown Prince (thanks EJ! :)) that had tiny fruit on it when still in the pot. Finally planted it out on Saturday, so I hope it romps away in the warm weather this week.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 13:00:59 »
wardy, i agree on the meal planning. i was saying this to someone that now with an allotment, i have to 're-learn' what food is in season when, and just to get on with eating tons of it if there is a glut, rather than letting it languish in the fridge like i often have done in the past.

supermarkets really do 'spoil' our food habits...

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal