Author Topic: joining two greenhouses  (Read 4819 times)

sunflower76

• Not So New ...
joining two greenhouses
« on: October 10, 2005, 21:22:32 »
I have one greenhouse on my plot at the moment and have been given another one of the same size.

Is it possible to join the two together somehow to make one large one, either back to back or side to side?

Is it worth it even if it is possible? Are there any benefits other than taking up slightly less space?

Thankyou

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: joining two greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 21:36:00 »
Is it possible?-yes,is it worth it?-I think no.

With two independant houses you can keep the conditions different. I know some of the mythos about not growing some crops like cucumbers and tomatoes etc together is a bit overdone but given the chance it is worth it.

And-come the colder months you will only need to keep one frost free if you are over wintering stuff.

Larger houses are easier to keep cool but I really do not see the point in the effort that would be involved.

Stephan

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 22:09:48 »
I joined two 8 foot greenhouses together to make an alpine house where keeping it cool was necessary. I joined them back to back with a door at either end. to give a through draft to keep botrytis away. I used lengths of aluminum carpet strip (the stuff you put down in doorways, not the gripping stuff with teeth). These were the correct width and easy to drill . I used the same nuts and bolts as in the g/house Ours was harder as he greenhouses have a curved outline, but with a straight roofed and sided one it is fairly easy. Worth the effort. not so sure as a vege growing  exercise though.
Gardening is the great leveller.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 22:29:44 »
i understand what the others say about having two seperate enviroments. but i also undersand the ease of having two two greenhouses easily accesible to each other. i think if you take out the back wall of one and leave the fornt wall of the other on, butt the two up so infat you have a wall between the two with a door, then silcone up the gaps between the houses and then you can ahve two greenhouses tht are asily accessible from oen to the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal