Author Topic: there's a crack in my water butt  (Read 4814 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
there's a crack in my water butt
« on: July 11, 2005, 17:19:42 »
dear liza. But seriously, does anyone have any great ideas about how to fix it. The split is a couple of inches long and is near the botttom, so does a great job of draining the butt. Any easy way to fix it that folk use?
I will finish it, one day

terrace max

• Hectare
Re: there's a crack in my water butt
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 17:37:50 »
No idea.  But well done for getting crack, butt and bottom into just one post...!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 17:56:39 »
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...butt seriously, how about some of that stuff they use to seal ponds. Comes in a tin, you paint it on  and blow me if I can remember the full name  ??? Got a 4 in it somewhere. 
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 18:02:45 »
Perfect TM, I've had a crappy day and your answer made 'crack up'

Lilylover, you beat me to it, but I too was going to suggest some kind of a waterproof membrane.  How bis is the water butt?  Maybe a swimming pool company might have a solution.

Or you could line the whole thing with a GIANT poly bag  ;D - sorry being silly again
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 19:08:04 »
Just an idea from an old lady : :))Wouldn't fibreglass be suitable. I am assuming it is still available. Years ago when we had a haulage business late husband mended a lighted box on top of one of our lorries.It must have been waterproof as it was a light box. Just a thought. Lorna.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 19:46:12 »
Silicone sealant?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 21:48:38 »
Fibre glass?

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 22:02:40 »
Fibreglass doesn`t usually work on plastic butts - either because the butt can flex slightly (which the fibreglass resin can`t), or because of the differences in the respective coefficients of linear expansion of the two substances.  At any rate, I`ve tried it on 3 different kinds of butts, and it always cracks away from the plastic.   Try Duck Tape, or waterproof glazing tape applied to the inside of the butt, or use a heavy grade wheelie bin liner.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 22:07:02 »
Smear the inside with mastic and put a patch of butyl pond liner or similar over it, the pressure of the water inside will help the seal

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 22:19:50 »
If you're feeling brave a hot glue gun will probably work -they use them for fixing poly windsurfers- but practice first  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 22:28:52 »
Fibreglass doesn`t usually work on plastic butts - either because the butt can flex slightly (which the fibreglass resin can`t), or because of the differences in the respective coefficients of linear expansion of the two substances.  At any rate, I`ve tried it on 3 different kinds of butts, and it always cracks away from the plastic.   Try Duck Tape, or waterproof glazing tape applied to the inside of the butt, or use a heavy grade wheelie bin liner.

Should you not use metal drums for water butts then? ??? as I have found an oil drum in mint condition and filled it with water and been using it on the lottie, :o that's what made me think fat larry's was metal, as he never mention the material. ;D

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 22:54:41 »
Nothing wrong with metal drums - I use a 600gal steel oil tank sawn in halves.  Eventually, of course, they go rusty inside, but it doesn`t seem to harm the plants, though definitely not organic.

I simply assumed plastic, since metal ones don`t usually get small cracks in - they either get rusty holes or the welds fall apart.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 22:57:37 »
Yep I stand corrected. Have just spoken to my son on IM and he said the lorry lightbox was fibreglass so of course it worked. He made the same comment  that he didn't think it would work with plastic. Oh well worth a try to suggest!! Hope you get sorted. Lorna.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 23:01:37 »
 ;D Oops! sorry Lorna ;D Didn't notice your previous post on fibre glass, what a silly sausage I am ;D ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 23:07:05 »
Roy I will have chips with my sausage please.... if you are cooking. ;D Lorna

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 09:37:14 »
it;s plastic, and has been repaired once inside, with fibreglass I think! Like the ideas, will try them this weekend
I will finish it, one day

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 12:56:41 »
I can't remember the brand name, but you can get special tape to repair plastic guttering, which I've used successfully.  It's like a heavy fabric which has been impregnated with a waterproof sticky gunk.  You'd need to make sure that the area around the crack was dry, then apply this stuff and leave it to cure for a few hours before refilling.

piers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 16:45:13 »
The stuff you need is called Plumbers Mait - it's instant expoxy resin, easy to use, sets hard as stone. I just used it to fix my water butt and it's magic. Get it from any hardware store - about 3 quid!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 20:57:26 »
Maybe some blue tack would do the trick  ???  It's a little like plasticine but comes only in the blue  ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal