Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 1278 times)

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
Potatoes
« on: July 09, 2005, 22:22:29 »
As we have cleared 75% of our plot and I (Mrs CG) would like to know are we to late for planting some spuds, I like desiree, and king edwards, are any of these ok to plant this late. 
I got an area about 13x30ft ready.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 22:58:33 »
You can still plant spuds, but you won't get as many as if you'd planted earlier. If you've got a good sheltered spot, and don't suffer too much from slugs etc you'll have a better chance. You might be better off thinking about planting other things that you will get a lot from:
French beans, courgettes/marrows, autumn carrots and if you want small ones quickly early carrots, winter cabbages, purple sprouting broccoli, leek, lettuce, spring onions, late peas.
Bets of luck.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 23:02:53 »
'Fraid so. In a couple of weeks your light levels will be such that maincrop tubers will be initiated and the plants will change from a vegetative state to a reproductive one so will make no more haulm and will not have had time to make enough leaves to support a crop. Others will have to help here but what you can do, if you can find conditioned tubers, is grow daylength neutral varieties (first/second earlies) and still get some potatoes for the fall.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:19:12 »
You need 1st or second earlies so KE and Desiree are out I'm afraid.

Ideally, and if you can afford them, the so called "second croppers" from firms like Marshalls are the ones to go for.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal