Author Topic: When does rotation need to be used?  (Read 2981 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
When does rotation need to be used?
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:51:14 »
Does crop rotation apply seasonally or per harvest?

I have now harvested all my summer cauliflowers so have some additional free space.   I was going to plant the last of my savoy cabbage where the cauli's were but then thought that maybe it is a bad idea to plant one brassica after another cos rotation is not just seasonal  ???

Can you give me your worldly wisdom please.   Thanks
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: When does rotation need to be used?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 09:45:52 »
I think that Brassicas that are going to be overwintered should be planted in next years brassica bed.  But I have put my purple sprouting in this years brassica bed.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:32:11 »
As the principle of rotation is not to plant the same crop in the same place over and over then planting savoys where you have just harvested caulis is not a rotation.

If you have the space move on to the next bed, leaving space for next year's caulis which you can plant alongside the savoys.

Phil

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 19:36:46 »
I have just planted my leeks into the space where my early potatoes were. Is this a suitable rotation? Of course I hadn't planned this originally and will have to amend my spreadsheet plan (again!).

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 19:48:59 »
That's exactly what I was going to do apart from I have discovered I have white rot at the fringes of that bed so now I am going to have to tinker with my rotation.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 21:30:58 »
Thanks for the advice.   I will hang onto the plants until they are bigger and then stick them where my firstcrop of peas were .....and like lots of others by the sound of it ,amend my rotation plan.   Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 21:36:33 »
I thought the onion family prefer not to be planted in previously manured soil, I'm sure I read it somewhere. :-\ :)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 21:39:28 »
Easy this allotment stuff isn't it........  Especially with all my 5 months experience  ???  What would I do without this site!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:40:40 »
I have just planted my leeks into the space where my early potatoes were. Is this a suitable rotation?....
Mike,

There are so many different options in rotation that provided you don't follow one crop with the same family and try to ensure that anything "special" that you added for one crop doesn't upset the next one (eg lime for brassicas isn't appreciated by potatoes) you should be ok

Onions after spuds is perfectly ok
Phil

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 19:32:05 »
eg lime for brassicas isn't appreciated by potatoes. Really!!!!  Even more confusing than I thought.  Everything I read stated roots after brassicas was the best option with no mention of potatoes being different eg .    http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp

Are there any other 'obvious' things I should be mindful of for next year?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 22:34:46 »
   I will hang onto the plants until they are bigger and then stick them where my firstcrop of peas were .....

This would be very beneficial to your cauliflowers. Peas, being legumes,  fix N into their roots. When you clear your peas cut the haulm rather than pull the plants so that the roots are left behind. As the pea roots deteriorate they will act as a slow release N fertiliser. Due to the high demand for N that cauliflower has work some in at planting too as a base dressing.
I thought the onion family prefer not to be planted in previously manured soil, I'm sure I read it somewhere.
I wouldn't put them directly into freshly manured ground, Roy, due to the raised N levels but potatoes, like cauliflower, also have a high N demand, and will have taken most of it.
eg lime for brassicas isn't appreciated by potatoes. Really!!!! 

If you have comon potato scab in your soil then it, and the resulting damage, becomes more prelevant as the pH increases.
Looking at your quoted reference I would make the comment that its cultural advice seems positively archaic to me. Everything seems to be "dig in December". Exactly when does a green manure get sown? How are you supposed to lessen soil nutrient loss overwinter? They don't even seem to believe in organic matter at all- I see no mention of it.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 23:12:18 »
Thats useful stuff John although to be honest I hadn't even thought of planting 'manure' although I have heard of it.   Bearing in mind your thoughts on the rotation site I found,  can you recommend one that is not so archaic.

Thanks Iain

redimp

• Hectare

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 23:42:03 »
Beat me to it. I think his site is excellent.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 09:50:19 »
......... no mention of potatoes being different

Potatoes are different from brassicas as the former prefers a slightly acid soil and the latter a slightly alkaline one

Phil

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 20:52:15 »
Thanks for that - have had a look and I agree it is much much better.  Will go and confuse myself further by trying to work out my rotation plan again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal