Author Topic: Tree Roots  (Read 1860 times)

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
Tree Roots
« on: July 08, 2005, 14:04:09 »
There are/were 13 leylandii across the bottom of the plot, and I have taken the chainsaw to them, leaving a stump of between 12-18 inches on each.

Funnily enough I don't have a stump grinder, and was planning just to leave them as ART - and/or as seats..

But do they regrow from the roots or the stump?

As for the wally who planted them 20 years or so ago...

Do they make good logs for my home fire? The branches I am saving for Fires R Us, who has the nearest cultivated plot to me. He's a veritable pyromaniac!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Tree Roots
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 16:00:17 »
Trenchboy, We had some leylandii logs given to us, so seasoned them down for 2 years and burnt them last winter, they were the lightest logs we have ever had, I could pick up a whole massive stump by  myself!  If I remember correctly they burnt quite quickly, but if you are like us, it was the, it is free, so who cares attitude!
We have 3 in the garden that I cut down quite radically, to about 2 foot, and yes the rotten things are sprouting again >:( 
I suppose you could get some stump stuff, can't remember what it is called, and put that on them with a placcie bag over the top?
GROWING SUCCESS DEEP ROOT TREE STUMP KILLER, by growing sucess, is the name, I have seen it at many garden centres,   Piccie of product here

http://www.ahsdirect.co.uk/product/227/82

They make good seats too!

Hope this helps   DP

We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 16:07:52 »
There's a tree stump in my garden, which, like Doris says, I use as a seat. Although it is currently a stand for a tomato pot.
gone to pot :D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 17:21:11 »
we have one in our garden that is more totem pole than stump! we've decided to drill holes (from a few mm to 1/2 an inch wide and 3 inches deep) to encourage beasties like bumble bees and ladybirds to overwinter with us.
might help to combat early aphid attacks  :-\

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 18:58:44 »
Doris et al
Thanks for the info re the logs. Have put them in the "store" zone behind a shed, and will leave them there to dry right out  for the next but one winter.
Have found some root killer that you suggested and have applied it.
Saw another question on the forum about conifers. Having found the roots from mine over 15 feet into the plot, I can't see why anyone likes the darn things except as a view from a car/train/plane. Good for the Rockies, but well bad for the lotties.
(mmm poetry...)
Have put a scaffold pole across 6 of them and after levelling a bit they now make a great lottie viewing bench seat. Two others from my allotments joined me there today and we had beers and talked absolute twaddle about the "Night of the Flying Ants", which has arrived two weeks early this year.
Fancy that.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal