Author Topic: Red toms in 3 days?? How????  (Read 3421 times)

undercarriage plan

Red toms in 3 days?? How????
« on: July 06, 2005, 20:43:47 »
Been a bit premature!! Entered toms in our local Horticultural Comp on Saturday.......They still green!!!!  AHHHHHH!!Any ideas?? Anyone?? Paint, nail varnish, dance at midnight?? All suggestions welcome. .. (within reason  :o)  Lottie  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Red toms in 3 days?? How????
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 20:46:02 »
banana's give off lots of ethylene and should help to ripen the tomatoes quicker - same reason they make other fruit go off if placed in the bowl.   3 days may be a tall order though.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 20:47:39 »
Pick a few an put them in a drawer - thats the way my gran used to ripen any green ones left overs in late summer.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 21:01:33 »
Right then.  5 in draw, 5 wrapped in banana skin!!! Aha! 5 wrapped in banana skin put in drawer!! Excellent. Thank you will let you know!!  Lottie  ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 21:10:23 »
I'd just strategically place banana skins around the plants. I suppose you could try both...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 21:13:48 »
I agree Keef.  Wrapping in banana skins would probably make the toms mouldy and then I would be in BIG trouble!  :-[      Also I think you might need to have the whole banana and not just the skins. 

Sorry lottie - you'll have to wait until the show before eating the banana.....
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 21:18:20 »
Ha ha!! Decided to paint toms red and pout them at back of stall.  All judges have poor sight......!! Beginning to think I can't enter them now! And rain ruined all roses I entering!! Mmmm tissue paper and sellotape should do it! Lottie  ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 21:20:52 »
Lottie - I'm sure if they're red and pouting they're bound to win!  Scarlet tomatoes   ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 21:28:02 »
Especially if beefsteak!!! Think they just too green this year, will rely on potatoes to bring it home!!  Lottie  ;D

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 21:31:35 »
Free issue rose tinted spectacles  ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 21:36:21 »
Ha ha ha!! Thinking of distraction in some way!! Had a few seconds, which was wonderful, just longing to bring home a big, shiney cup, and stand beside it smugly whilst pretending not to be!!!!!! Sad, I know, ooo and polish it!! Lottie  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 21:40:16 »
As another thought forget making them red.   Make up a sign stating how you have developed this new variety especially bred for green tomato chutney..........

oh,  and how you have considered people who get to many tomatoes and therefore tehy will go red eventually for those that just want to eat them....... ;D ::)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 21:45:06 »
You should be my mouth at the show!! I'm convinced! Green toms etc, do you think they'll go for non-petal roses?  Lottie  ;D

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 21:49:21 »
i have 3 tomatoes growing out of 3 plants! The biggest is the size of a pea! Got a long way to go for me yet! I am hungry now though!
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 21:53:18 »
You can borrow some of mine, picked the first outdoor red one today and another two should be ready in the next couple of days if we get some sunshine.  :D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 21:54:17 »
Crikey Shaolin, cos if you also have a show to go to its not advice you need but prayer!!!!    :D

<<<<<<<<silly mood tonight

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 21:56:47 »
Me too!! Shaolin what you doing here??? Should be celebrating!! Not going to acknowledge red ones!! As for pea size ones, wrap in banana skin and enter as cherries! Lottie  ;D

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 22:00:02 »
I was hungry but now I reek of garlic and onions because that's all I have. A balanced diet is out of the question I'm eating from one glut to the next.

Why not pick you smallest green tomato and go for the booby prize usually a wood spoon. Use a wax polish and it will buff up great and look just as good in you trophy cabinet. A wooden spoon is more useful anyway.

I caught the smallest fish in a fishing comp once and came away with a better prize than the winner. I've never been fishing since.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 22:03:00 »
no you got it allwrong ed and lottie.  Remember all the hassle of making them red..!!!!    Leave 'em green Shaolin, polish them up and enter them as large peas.........

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 22:05:35 »
Big cup, big cup, big cup!!! Shiney!!  ;D Lottie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal