Author Topic: When is ground classed as uncomposted?  (Read 1423 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
When is ground classed as uncomposted?
« on: July 02, 2005, 08:47:55 »
Having browsed the net and read some hints on seed packets I made surenot to plant my carrots on 'newly' manured ground.  Although most have been nice straight roots around 20% of those pulled have looked more like wierd aliens than carrots with the roots all split up - somethng I'm told is due to the gournd being to rich.

My question is therefore how long does the ground have to remain unmanured to be classed as 'not newly manured' for according to rotation they go in after cabbage and stuff (can't remember the group name) which means it will only ever be 12 months since it was last fertilised.  Feeling a bit confused!!  :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: When is ground classed as uncomposted?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:15:56 »
12 months is fine. The forking is probably due to stones in the ground. I try to riddle the ground where my carrots are to go. I also add sand to the row and work it in. Carrots don't like to fight to grow, they prefer an easy route.
Talking manure, I only put it down where my spuds are to go never where brassica or the pea family are to be grown. Crops following the rotation programme will have sufficient elements left over from the previous spud area.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 20:59:42 »
Doesn't it also depend on whether your ground is stoney or not as well? When the developing root hits a stone , it splits into weird and wonderful shapes to by-pass it, or so I was taught.  Could be wrong, but doubt it, what with being female and all....!!! Lottie  ;D ;D ;D

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 21:27:06 »
In root crops such as carrots and parsnips, the active root growth bud is at the apex of the root. This bud is easily damaged by such things as a sharp stone, pockets of acid (recent manure or compost), or by attack from soil pests, and when this occurs the bud dies and a new dormant bud close to the crown starts into growth.  This is what causes `forking`.  In very stony soil, or where there is recent manure it is not uncommon to see carrots with 4 or 5 roots.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 10:11:32 »
You could be right Lottie especially as to quote an old joke, Man:"I sold my encyclopedia the other day for £100.  Friend: why, you only just bought them for £500!.  Man:  I know but the wife cost thousands and knows everything.........    :D  {Iain hides}

But seriously,  I don't think its stones for these roots had nearer 8 or 8 splits and the gournd has very few stones.   Interesting thought on the pests Kepouros, mayebe its that as I seem to have every other tuype of pest!  MIght also be due to root damage by me for having been first year on lottoe I think I weeded and thinned to early.

Thanks for the reponses which have me thinking and planning

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal