Author Topic: allotment novice ...help !!  (Read 4958 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
allotment novice ...help !!
« on: November 15, 2003, 00:42:16 »
 ::)
I've just acquired my first ever allotment.  The soil has been dug, it's got a fence and a gate but nothing in it !!
Any hints or tips would be appreciated.
I would like to grow soft fruit ( blackberries/raspberries),
various vegetables, flowers etc etc
Where do I start??
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: allotment novice ...help !!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 00:55:36 »
Lucky you!  dug, fenced and with a gate!  What a head start!

Advice will come pouring out from everyone now, so be ready!  

I would say, grow the fruits, veggies and flowers that you like.  Talk to other plot holders, you will be amazed at their generosity!  Start looking at seed catalogues and suppliers to get a feel of what you want, and how big a dent it is going to make in your pocket!

I get the impression from reading others posts that you should probably test the soils ph, but I never have mine - yikes!  There are things like deciding if and where you would plonk and shed, compost heap, water butts etc.......hmmmmm...okay, I am going to go now and leave the more learned to advise you, but I will say, congratulations, and welcome - there are loads and loads of great people here brimfull with knowledge and great advise!   ;D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 01:16:54 »
Debs,  if you ask 50 gardeners about what you should grow and where, or where to site your water butt or your shed, you will get 50 different answers, and you may well finish up not agreeing with any of them.  Why not start by looking back through the various threads on the pages of this Board, and then do likewise on the Basics Board.  Just pick on any subject that interests you and read the postings.  That way you should get a wealth of ideas on how to set up your lottie, what to look for,  what to grow, and what to do about it. In fact, you`ll probably finish up knowing as much as the rest of us.  Once you have formulated some definite ideas on  what you want, and need some advice on them just ask.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 02:00:13 »
Blimey, is there a cake shop and pub nearby too! Good for you though and you have certainly come to the right place - beware though, this site is addictive. In your place, I would start with the basics - the soil. Oh, this is a good time for planting raspberries too (hope so anyway cos I have just got mine in. Write a list of what you fancy and get posting. Luck!
Cheers, Suzy

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 02:02:51 »
yay! moved up from 'newbie' status - Happy with 'junior' - if you only knew - withered crone! :D
Cheers, Suzy

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 20:15:49 »
Welcome to the board Debs ! Sounds like you've got a good start if your plot is already dug and you've managed to find this board !

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 23:07:03 »
Hi Debs and welcome and what a lovely lottie you have got.
First bit of advice is take a photo of it now and start an album.
Then sit down and write all the fruite/vedge/flowers you like. you can grow what you like on a lottie not restricted.
Find out when they get the manure comming fruit like manure and so do flowers and some vedge.
If you have water nearby thats great if not think of getting a shed of some sort second hand or make your own with guttering to catch the water into a but and somewhere to shelter if it rains.
Talk to the local lottie holders they will give you all sort of things before you buy plants.
But most of all have fun and if you have a good sence of hummer this is the board for you. hee hee
Teresa

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 23:09:32 »
Hiya Debs, and welcome to this Board.   Aren't you the lucky one - my plot was like a building site, and required several trips to the tip.

I'm sure you will quickly get to know you allotment neighbours;  tell them your hopes and intentions, and you will be surprised as to how helpful they can be.   I had a surplus of raspberry canes  which someone else had.   I mentioned I was going to make a flower border, and suddenly there were Asters, Aqualegia, Primroses, "Mums" on my doorstep.   Fortunately I had some surplus plants to hand out too.

As well as a shed, greenhouse, waterbutt etc., you might consider a compost bin early on so that your kitchen waste can start rotting down now.   Before I had planted my first seed, I had built a 2metre square box for horse manure, and established a regular supply from the local stables.   H/Manure has to rot down for one to two years before you can use it, so the earlier you start, the sooner you'll have some.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 01:01:57 »
Hi Debs, like you Im an allotment novice. Love gardening but apart from a few tomatoes in the greenhouse never grown veggies etc before. Having been to see my 1/2 allotment(thought a whole one would be to much) and comparing to some I have seen on this site I think that we have got off very lightly. My lottie has just been created so new fencing,new paths and best of all no years of overgrowth.   ;D  The soil is very stoney but otherwise looks very good.  No water as yet but council laying on in the future(metered).  Unfortunatly because it is backed onto a small estate with fabulous views over the menia straits we cant have trees, greenhouses or anything over 6ft. Please keep in touch as would love to have another novice to pick over things with.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 21:06:35 »
Hi Mimi,

My lottie is probably the same size as yours.

What have you done so far??

I haven't yet done anything (embarrassed).  But I hope to go tomorrow (Sun) as I have 8 bags of shredded leaves to put into a compost heap (when I eventually locate some pallates to construct it ( hubbies job!!).

I'd love a shed but don't have the finances available at moment - does anyone know where I could find a second -hand one ??  

I get really fired up with enthusiasm when I open this web-site ( but maybe that's my thirty-something age !!!).  Keep in touch.
P.S. Plan to take before and after pics for amusement of all )

Debs

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 23:09:46 »
Debs I think that we are at about the same level of inactivity.  After thinking long and hard about the lottie I decided to take a full plot.  Can always let half go if it is too big, but may now be able to get half back if it is too small.  The only thing that is thriving is stones, Do I need to get rid of all of them or just the biggies?  I did plan to go and make a start today but as the rain was falling horizontally in the wind decided to give it a miss.  The plot is on the seafront so not a good place to be if the weather is foul.  Think what I will do is cover half with black plastic and the other half with a generous layer of seaweed and as I dig it in in a couple of weeks I can get rid of the rocks at the same time.   :D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 00:09:51 »
Hi Debs,
Keep a look out in your local free papers for a shed some even have a web page so you can surf before the paper comes out.
Also if hubby is handy with his hands try your local tip/ recyleing centre see what they have to make a shed out of worth a look.
Some down our lottie are made out of tin sheeting,plastic , wood , even fencing pannels.
Good luck
Teresa

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 00:12:58 »
Debs - a second hand shed, if only, I am after one also.  Check out the local rags every week, and put the word out to other plot holders - it's amazing what comes up.
Mimi - stones, well, I have enough stones to lay cobble paths and have dry stone walls surrounding my Essex plot!  I don't tend to worry about them - clear them all today, there will be more there tomorrow.  Huge ones I lob to the side when I am pottering, but other than that, I leave them be. And if a whole one is too much, but you don't wanna give half up, I guess you could sow annual flowers...or plant bulbs....or green manure, just to keep the weeds at bay.   ;D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 14:35:56 »
well as one of your lottie neighbours i can offer the following advice!

the manure appears by the gate at least once a week but there appears to be no pattern or set day.

woolies have really good plastic coated padlocks for the gate at £2.98 at the moment!

the man who looks a lot like the bloke from the royle family will, given the chance, talk for hours to you about area 51 and various alien conspiracy theories!! ;D

they are recruiting shop volunteers at the moment (you get a 20% discount in the shop if you do it)

i am constructing a polytunnel but i am away for the whole of april so if you want to use it to start you plants off then you are more than welcome!

Jo

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 19:58:24 »
Hiya Debs

Nice to know there's some other 'lottie 'newbies" out there.   I don't feel quite so scared now.  
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 21:02:15 »
Hi Anaxi Yep there are quite a few newbies to allotments here( thank goodness) Your bound to pick up loads of helpful advice from these boards ,from all the more 'senior' members  :)and it will be good to share our plans and experiences with the lottie.  Cheers Mimi

Cool Carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Eat Me !!  I Know You Want To !!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2003, 22:51:02 »
Hi ya Debs

I got my shredder from the local car boot sale. So get up early one cold sunday am & have a root around.
www.Ebay.co.uk might be of help. Or your local B&Q when they is a sale on.

Regards
CC
And it's good by from the Cool Carrot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal