Author Topic: wood shredder  (Read 1545 times)

glynthered

• Not So New ...
  • I'm retired don't ask me to do anything
wood shredder
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:44:53 »
Has anyone got any advice on a good cheap wood shredder. Ideally it needs to be engine driven cos I dont have electricity on site ???Also good cheap elecrtric shredder that I could use at home.
glynthred

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: wood shredder
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:58:02 »
My only advice would be 'not cheap'.

But - first - decide exactly what you want the thing to do. They can be an expensive disappointment.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 12:18:40 »
Definitely not cheap, they really are 'you gets what you pays for' machines. And unless you have a large amount of wood which needs shredding, possibly hardly worth the cost. If you are keeping it at an allotment, I would have thought that security was also an issue.
Whatever you get make sure that it is one where you can easily remove the cutting blade{s} for sharpening. We have one of those Archimedes screw type ones and while when it works it is very good, the blade is an absolute so and so to get at to sharpen.  We also (free gfity) have a rotary cutter style. It does not shred  big stuff as well as the other, but at least you can sharpen it and get inside when it blocks.
If you Google "petrol engine shredders" you get a fair number of suppliers and prices.
The more powerful the machine the better it works!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:23:47 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 15:31:49 »
We have a Draper GS2400, it cost £170, but it has a really powerful engine, 2.4kw, this way it can cope with whatever you need to be rid of and not burn out the engine!!

We HAD a miserable old fir tree in the front garden, but now we have loads of sunlight ;D 

.... oh yes and a years supply of wood for the Chiminea ;D ;D

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal