Author Topic: rent  (Read 26018 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
rent
« on: June 28, 2005, 16:38:35 »
Am just in the process of taking on an allotment at last and wondered what do others pay in annual rent? Ours is a staggereing £47 per annum plus share of water meter ...  and due to go up again in January..and the lady in charge is wondering why not many folk are interested.  This is North east Lincolnshire and apparently very,very few people are interested in growing their own.
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Anne Robertson

• Acre
Re: rent
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 17:18:00 »
I'm in Cheshire and the site is on land owned by Shell Refinery, but the site is run by Allotment Ass. The rent is £9 a year including water and half that if you want a seconed one, so i think we have a very good deal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 17:19:43 by ani »

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 18:52:55 »
Hi Nitiram

I'm just over the river from you in Hull.  I rent my allotment off Hull City Council, the plot is 250 m2 and costs only £24.50 - with water costs included!  Why not refer the council to our costs, so they can see the difference in an area not too far away?  Also, we had a similar discussion on here not too long back and I don't think I remember anyone paying as much as that  :-\

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 21:55:51 »
I am in East Sussex and rent from the council, I pay £18.00 per annum, going up next year to £18.45!!   I have water right next to my plot  ( hurrah!)and thats it, we have to tend our own paths, (thank you Drew  :-* ) and get no help at all from the council, which many see as a blessing!
I would pay double that for the joy and produce my plot gives me, but I do think that keeping the cost low encourages us that do not have loads of money!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 22:02:41 »
Wonder why there is such a wide range of rents? Is it because the councils can set their own tarriffs?  Are some allotments privately owned and rented out?
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 23:15:38 »
i looked into getting an allotment a little while back in the london borough of wandsworth. i believe the charge quoted was £120 plus per year.
no idea if that included water or not - even at that price the waiting list was 3 1/2 years so i never got to find out. we moved instead :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 23:43:40 »
Mine in sunny Essex are 3 quid each, but no piped water.  So, every September, I have to scrape together a whopping 6 pounds, and I have to say, I would pay 10 times that to keep my fabulous allotments!  ;D  (Although I might insist something were done about the lack of water!)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 00:21:05 »
I pay £30 a year in Tyne & Wear, which includes water and membership of the NSALG.  It is worth every penny I think as we love it so much.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Bodolph

• Not So New ...
  • "Another day - another plant"
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 08:45:49 »
I'm in Reading where we pay ~£45 annually for a 250m2 plot near water. No extra charges but on our particular allotment water is supplied by hand pumps not pressurised. Good news though is we escape the hosepipe bans since our water is lifted directly from the Thames water table. Getting arms like Popeye though!
"...Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so..."

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 09:10:23 »
Hi Nitiram- we're in North Lincs so we're nearly neighbours  ;D. We only pay £18 a year per plot on our site and have access to water at the end of our plot so it seems your council are being a little bit greedy, especially as you have to pay for the water too. why don't you get together with others on your site and tell your council you think you're paying over the odds.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 09:19:02 »
I'm on a private site in Hampton Wick - £20 p.a. for a full plot, £10 for a half. Hand-pumped water and a pool of power and other tools for plotholders to use.

It may be that your owner (council?) is trying to price everyone out of the allotments so they can turn them into something else, Nitiram. As suggested, perhaps a meeting with the person in charge with evidence of rates in other areas?

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:24:49 »
I'm in Cambridge and our rent is £18 a year - Council owned but Assoc run.  We have natural water source so don't even have to pay for that - and there was me thinking that Cambridge was really really expensive for everything but it seems not for lotties from other posts!!!  :o

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:46:24 »
Mines works out at around £16 including water and membership of the NSALG (which means we have free use of a petrol strimmer amongs other benefits).I have a tap on my plot but the pressure is poor unless you are there on your own.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 10:58:01 »
£21 west sussex per plot including private water supply.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 11:50:14 »
Im in Surbiton, and get charged £26 per plot (we have 2) = 250m2
We have a tap at the endof out plot too for free (so far)
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 15:55:09 »
We're in Sheffield and pay £12 p.a. but no water on site, other than a muddy stream.

Site belongs to Wentworth Estate but is run by our own Association.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

tamsin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 16:28:15 »
Mine's in Redbridge, East London. It's council run and includes water but costs £60ish p.a. I thought that was quite reasonable till I found out what other people are paying!

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 17:19:03 »
my plots in blackburn and for a full plot i pay £58 a year which includes water rates as we have running water. oap's pay £48 per year >:( >:( >:(
takes over your life doesn't it

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 19:46:06 »
Mine is £50 a year, but there is water laid on. The tap is at the end of my plot :D, I thought it was a small price to pay til I read these posts...eeeeeek!! ::)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 19:54:15 »
20 pound a plot here in hayfield, no water but there is a stream and a communal giant water butt.  it was private land that was bequeathed to the parish.
It'll be better next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal